• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Preserving Dead Ts?

gh0st_dreams

Hi I'm still new here so I'm not sure if this is where I should post this, but we're here! My first tarantula, Marcus, is getting old and will likely die this summer. I live in an apartment so it's not like I have a yard to bury him in and I don't want to just throw him away. I've seen a lot of people put their dead Ts in shadow boxes but I can't find a good tutorial. I have a LP so the hairs are really irritating and I know they're still active after death. I don't want to get hairs, though I could wear gloves easily. But I'm still worried about the body rotting or something if I were to put him in a shadow box. Do I have to clean out his guts or something? I'm just not sure how to go about this, any advice would be helpful! But no rush because he probably still has a few more months :)

x_raphael_xx

I actually have a video due to go live on wednesday showing how I did one of mine :D My youtube is @thezooroom.

Basically, you need to clean out the abodomen, turn him onto his back, make as small a slit as possible & use q-tips to clean out the gunk. Then roll up tiny balls of tissue paper and restuff the butt (smaller bits of paper gets a better shape than big balls of paper.
Then pin him into a nice position, and pop him in a tub with silica beads to dry him out. After a while (he will still be a little smelly) the silica beads will dry out any left over goo, and he'll be good to frame.

You can just pin & stick him in a silica tub without stuffing the abdomen, but the silica will absorb all the moisture and his butt will shrivel

x_raphael_xx

20240304_172605856_iOS.jpg