• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

pokie ?'s

god61021

3 Year Member
ok day two as a tarantula person. our pokie came in a vial that's about maybe two times her height not counting the soil, (2 " of soil and 2.5" of air space) and small enough in diameter that if we had four pokies in there they would be touching each other at all times.
I assume this is too small for her.
she is roughly 1.5" and just molted in the last 36 hours.
I am thinking next Saturday to move her to a larger enclosure.
we have a super nice 4.4 liter enclosure that I am guessing is probably too big. roughly 9" x 7" x 3"
what do you guys think? what size enclosure do you think she needs? in inches please. instead of ordering something online I will go to Walmart and make something myself.

god61021

3 Year Member
Well while waiting for a reply I went to Walmart and picked up a locking container that was 7 x 4.5 x 4.5 so a little bigger than your recommendations but, I think since we pretty much hand the bugs right to our T's, and she appears to be extremely active at night I think we should be good. heres a pic of the enclosure pre-tarantula. the vent holes look like a lot but they are from a drill bit so small a thumb tack would leave a bigger hole. (I have always had a hard time creating and keeping proper humidity even with reptiles so hopefully im not starting out with too much ventilation) you can see if you squint I put one "vent" lower than the other and on opposite sides of the tank. in my experience this creates much better air flow.

Attachments

• 1489273_1467206416835046_474878624626562562_n.jpg
    1489273_1467206416835046_474878624626562562_n.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 27

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well while waiting for a reply I went to Walmart and picked up a locking container that was 7 x 4.5 x 4.5 so a little bigger than your recommendations but, I think since we pretty much hand the bugs right to our T's, and she appears to be extremely active at night I think we should be good. heres a pic of the enclosure pre-tarantula. the vent holes look like a lot but they are from a drill bit so small a thumb tack would leave a bigger hole. (I have always had a hard time creating and keeping proper humidity even with reptiles so hopefully im not starting out with too much ventilation) you can see if you squint I put one "vent" lower than the other and on opposite sides of the tank. in my experience this creates much better air flow.

That is fine,since mine was just a recommendation. As long as the T is happy and healthy it is all that matters.

god61021

3 Year Member
yeah I did. the eco - earth was soakin in the tub when I took the photo. I'm thinking about switching to vermiculite for my babies though, I've emptied two vials since I've got my slings home and the eco earth was a pretty solid clump in the bottom. in fact I found the dead body of my missing L.Parahybana sling incased in a pretty hard dirt clump. I almost wonder if his burrow didn't get too hard to dig out of for the tiny little guy.

Latest posts