• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

poecilotheria metallica egg sacks

entomology

3 Year Member
Hi guy
i just wanted to share some great news regarding the successful breeding of my Poecilotheria metallica's . I will upload some pics of egg sacks and the mechanical mom in which they are being incubated. I know most people don't really like artificial incubators but working in zoos most of my career. they are a success irrespective of what anyone says as i've had success all the years and it eliminates all the "bad" things that can go wrong with a sack if left with the mother. in saying so i dont need to tell you all as you all are aware of the negatives of leaving with mom.I have 3 egg sacks at moment and awaiting the next 5 to drop and females are heavily gravid
smile.png
below pics of mechanical mom and egg sack. MM depositing sperm on his web :)
photo.JPG
photo2.JPG
photo3.JPG

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Excellent photos! I'd love to see how the mechanical mom works! Can you take a video of it in action?

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Wow, that mechanical mom is really cool! Where exactly do the egg sacks go? Congrats on your success with the P. metallicas! Beautiful Ts. :)

entomology

3 Year Member
Hi guys
thanks for the nice compliments :)
getting to the egg sacks placed in mechanical mom you can see the transparent cylinder in chamber with holes very visible and i placed velcro inside to avoid the egg sack from sliding so it rolls over when touching the velcro. I will do a video clip and post for you all too see so refrain from laughing if i talk ok ha ha ha.... I also wanted to ask all you breeders as i am looking to import some fresh new bloodline for my breeding program with tarantulas as its my belief here in South Africa the Hobby is a problem for me as most T's when purchased for females to be mated are actually the males from 2 years prior this females earlier offspring) making the male infertile producing a infertile sack. please can someone shed some light on this subject for me as i would really like to get a good genetic strain from tarantulas i wanna purchase abroad.

Kenny you are very knowledgeable in this regard so could you be so kind as to give your input please as it will be greatly appreciated ?? :)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
inbreeding isn't an issue in spiders. It's done regularly on purpose, and by accident, and I don't know of any legit proof that says inbreeding produces infertile sacks. As a matter of fact, I've bred my OBT to its offspring/siblings on a number of occasions and gotten large healthy sacs.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Agree Kenny.
Just for everyone's info, exporting spiders to South Africa is illegal, so please make sure that import permits are arranged from South Africa before sending spiders here.
Thanks

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
I'm just looking out for the law. Please just make sure import permits are issued before sending anything out of the country.

Ruan - true conserver of nature

entomology

3 Year Member
@ Ruan ur not a nature conservator and as far as to my knowledge ur just in the hobby breeding tarantulas you have nothing to do with applied sciences.

entomology

3 Year Member
Dispersal is one of the most important pre copulatory inbreeding avoidance

mechanisms and subject to related selection pressures. In Populations, inbreeding

within and between populations may strongly affect

Population dynamics if it reduces fitness and gene-flow. While inbreeding

avoidance!!!! is generally considered to be a key evolutionary driver of dispersal!!!!!!

potential effects of inbreeding within a population, so by mating among

relatives, affects the survivorship and the dispersal behaviour

Inbreeding leads to a decrease of ballooning dispersal probability

Because survival was depressed after inbreeding,

with a tendency of reduced survival loss in the rare and highly endangered

species, energetic constraints are likely to be the underlying mechanism.

Inbreeding consequently depresses silk-related dispersal spiders.

This may induce an inbreeding depression vortex with important

consequences and metapopulation dynamics of

species from highly fragmented populations.

nature conservationist- Ray

entomology

3 Year Member
I doubt that!!! a trouble maker i know hence u been banned from other forums due to your arrogance and childish behavior always "humiliating"the new ppl starting out on keeping tarantulas!!! each time u return with a different IP address and that pathetic!!! catch the hint.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok guys, The bickering needs to stop. If you two have dirty laundry to air, this is not the place for it.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Ok guys, The bickering needs to stop. If you two have dirty laundry to air, this is not the place for it.

I agree, no need to bring up issues from other forums from the distant past. Just wanted to mention that you need permits to import tarantulas into SA. Nothing more and nothing less.