• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help (stressed posture)

Hagraven

I am very worried about my adult Chilobrachys Huahini. For the past couple days I've seen her in what I would consider to be a stressed posture. I rehomed her last month but until just this past day or two she seemed to be doing really well.

She ate a week or so ago- and as you can see she is very well fed (I paired her in October and have wanted to keep her with food).

I can't think of anything that might have changed in or around her environment- except, that perhaps there is more moisture in her new enclosure set up.

I know I'm not providing much to go on- but I am at a loss. Thank you for the help

Attachments

• 20230206_212252.jpg
    20230206_212252.jpg
    868.1 KB · Views: 20
  • 20230206_093201.jpg
    20230206_093201.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 21
  • 20230206_092743.jpg
    20230206_092743.jpg
    723.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 20230203_120507.jpg
    20230203_120507.jpg
    856.8 KB · Views: 20

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't have much to say aside from a recent rehoming of a fossorial T, usually makes them uncomfy until they burrow and make themselves at home.

Hagraven

I don't have much to say aside from a recent rehoming of a fossorial T, usually makes them uncomfy until they burrow and make themselves at home.
Thank you. That she had been doing so well with the rehouse until just a couple of days ago is what concerns me- I should say, the move happened January 17th, and for those weeks since, until now, she was webbing, eating, and not holding herself this way (she last ate about a week, week and a half ago). She's my favorite T and I am just trying to figure out what I can do for her. Thanks again.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When did she molt last? Could that be part of it?

I have no experience with fossorials but some with terrestrials. Hopefully someone with such experience will chime in. I know that lack of a response can be frustrating for posters when they are anxious about a T, especially a favored one.

Hagraven

When did she molt last? Could that be part of it?

I have no experience with fossorials but some with terrestrials. Hopefully someone with such experience will chime in. I know that lack of a response can be frustrating for posters when they are anxious about a T, especially a favored one.
Thank you. Her last molt was late August, 2022. Though definitely a possibility, especially given that I can only guess her age, her coloring was way different then- brown, and with dark patches. She is still fairly bright and silvery now, not too different from the first few days after the molt. Thanks for your reply.

Hagraven

It should be said that much of the time my girl is holding her front legs up and close to herself but the back legs are often held out, and relaxed.
I'd not worry if I had seen this before, but the behavior is new and now too regular, and all I can think about is her showing stress, or worse. Any help is really appreciated

Hagraven

Update

What had started to become a serious worry in a matter of days became a great joy- my girl was not sick, but gravid! It had been over 3 months since her pairing and I had started to think that the time with her suitor would not after all be successful- worried for her health, it was the last thing I expected as a cause for her awkward posturing.

As I was being a helicopter parent I quickly spotted the snow-white silk mat and had my suspicions...which about two days later turned out to be right : )

So happy for her!

20230207_184919.jpg

Screenshot_20230209_131939_Gallery.jpg

20230209_165518.jpg

Attachments

• 20230209_142717.mp4
    44.1 MB
  • 20230207_211732.mp4
    51 MB

Hagraven

After 26 days I pulled my big girl's eggsac. Many of the eggs were darker than I would have hoped for, and many were sticking to the sac itself. Despite my efforts, day by day more and more were lost.
I could not have prepared for how heartbreaking the loss of the eggsac would be. Were they infertile? Did my pulling too early cause the loss? My care of them afterwards? I can't say. A single egg remains- who knows, maybe there's some hope there.
I am now most grateful through all this that my favorite spider is safe and eating again. It's been a wild way to learn a lot real quick, albeit very, very disheartening. What can be done. Perhaps we'll try again in the years to come.

IMG_20230312_144143_502.jpg

IMG_20230312_144143_617.jpg

Latest posts