• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

pinky mice?

rénee

3 Year Member
Another question for the wonderful people of this website, haha

I have been reading about G. Rosea diets and it's mainly crickets, they can feed mealworms or ****roaches if wanted. Now I also read on 1 site that you can feed a pinky mouse, I know with some T ' s you can, my uncle has a T (not sure the breed yet, waiting to hear back) who eats 1 mouse a month and I don't think it's even a pinky mouse at that, but I'm just curious as to what others have fed their G. Rosea ' s, I also read they really only eat 1-2 crickets a week, but I think all T ' s are different and have different feeding habits.

I will be feeding her tonight after work to see if she eats and how many crickets.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have a dubia roach colony and I also feed super worms to them. :) Also, you can feed mice to them if you want, but a spider can go it's whole life and be perfectly healthy without eating any vertebrates. The bolus and stench will be gross, and the tarantula could very easily take damage from the mouse.

Last edited:

TabithasMom

3 Year Member
My rosie gets crickets and ****roaches. Years and years ago, I found a very juvenile mouse (just out of the pinkie stage) caught in a mouse trap at the barn I kept my horse. It had a broken leg, so I figured why not see if Tabitha would like it? What happened was I ended up having a pet mouse (named Moose) for the next 4 years, lol. Tabitha was extremely stressed with the mouse in her tank, so he was removed rather quickly. You can try frozen mice, but my rosie does just fine on a rotation of invertebrates,

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Years ago, when I first bought my G. porteri, I kept several dozen snakes and always had frozen pinkies on hand. Because it was a pain to buy just a couple crickets for her, I would sometimes drop in a thawed pinky. I would actually tie a thread to it so that I could drag it around and stimulate a feeding response (this was almost 20 years ago, and I really didn't know what I was doing). She ate them, but the boluses needed to be removed immediately because they rot and stink quickly.

I still have my girl, and I feed here a large cricket or so a week. She did just molt, so I gave her a large dubia roach to put a little weight on her after her recent molt, but after that it will be back to four crickets a month, She's easily in her mid 20s, so this seems to be working well for her. :)

Latest posts