• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pink Toe Concern

Heidi Ho

3 Year Member
My baby pink toe has been staying in her wood block for the past 2 months but now she stays on the ground. She has been at the bottom of her aquarium floor for two weeks now. I'm getting concerned about her and was looking for advice.

I thought maybe molting but I read they go high and make a nest.

Thank you,
Heidi

Heidi Ho

3 Year Member
Yes, here is an image of it. Thank you

Attachments

• 20140910_051813.jpg
    20140910_051813.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 71

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello,I'm going to give a few suggestions you may decide what to do with it.
- new enclosure, since its arboreal an upright one will be better.
- smaller enclosure, since I've found Avics thrive in smaller environments
These above suggestions,aren't rules but personal view and I am into Avics. I will post photos of what I've used,maybe it will help.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
uploadfromtaptalk1410342041143.jpg

Here us an example, I've used a normal container turned it upside down. Used the lid for substrate, and put holes on the sides. Not too many,since it dries out the substrate fast. I made a hole through the top,and added a plant through that hole and fastened it. My Avics nest up top, I never disturb them during a change of substrate nor feeding I just turn the top part around and drop or coax a cricket or Roach inside. Look at the thread, club Avicularia if need be or ask more questions.

PlaidJaguar

3 Year Member
I've found that more air holes is safer for young Avics. I keep mine on dry substrate and lightly mist about twice a week. You really want to make sure there's a lot of airflow, so get holes along the top and bottom just above the substrate.

Every time I've seen a case of "sudden Avic death syndrome" it's been in an enclosure with limited ventilation. Stale air kills Avics.

Also, definitely get rid of those wood chips. Tarantulas prefer real dirt or Eco Earth.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've found that more air holes is safer for young Avics. I keep mine on dry substrate and lightly mist about twice a week. You really want to make sure there's a lot of airflow, so get holes along the top and bottom just above the substrate.

Every time I've seen a case of "sudden Avic death syndrome" it's been in an enclosure with limited ventilation. Stale air kills Avics.

Also, definitely get rid of those wood chips. Tarantulas prefer real dirt or Eco Earth.

I mist the substrate and the sides no water bowl,and use the holes as above. Haven't lost one Avicularia,nor have I had one bad molt. I think there is a lot to debate on this genus,I believe if it works don't change it. So if you have something that works,stick to it. Like with my way,I won't change it since I've never regretted or looked back.

Latest posts