• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pink Salmon Bird Eater

I am a beginner but I have handled many reptiles including helping with venomous snakes. I have done a lot of research and I know the potency of a pink salmon bird eater is high and causes harsh symptoms but they are not very aggressive/defensive as others. Of course, every T has it's own personality and limits. I won't be handling it as I don't want to experience urticating hair or risk a bite if I don't have to. Do you think if I am very careful and cautious this would be a decent first tarantula with a lot of procaution?

I really love the big T's. I had a jumping spider for a year but it passed of old age. I mean she/he had a full happy life so I think I did well and I am ready to raise a T.

Sorry if I as a lot of questions or sound stupid but I want as many people's advice, thoughts, and opinions as possible. I don't take getting a pet lightly as it is a long commitment.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There are no such things as stupid questions and you are in the right place as this forum is filled with people genuinely happy to help.
A LP (Lasidoria parahybana) is a great first tarantula. They are fairly solid beast, with a voracious appetite and a fast growing speed. As a sling/juvenile she will likely dig or hide very often but stays out more and more as her size will increase. Keep in mind that an LP won't be waiting for a second of inattention to viciously attack you. If bothered she will either retreat or dust you some urticating hairs first. If you insist on bothering her or if she feels cornered threaten she will switch to a threat posture. If all the warning were not enough you won't be able to blame her for a bite :)
Keep in mind as well that her venom is not really medically dangerous (allergic people might have a different reaction tho). Also to keep in mind, many bites are "mechanical" and involve just fangs puncturing rather than venom being injected, but then again the fangs of an adult LP are nothing to kid with.
I believe an LP would be a great first tarantula, if you would like an even more chill one, a Tliltocatl albopilosus is a great inexpensive and solid first T too. I bring our old mature female to my son's school once a year and all the kids get to cuddle her (I supervise of course) and she never flicked hairs or even seemed bothered.
Cheers and welcome to the hobby!

RIP My babygirl She will always be loved and never be forgotten!!!

Attachments

• All growed up.jpg
    All growed up.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 2

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
RIP My babygirl She will always be loved and never be forgotten!!!
Hello East Coast, this is not the right thread to post these :)
The thread is a photo competition that is already closed (the purpose of the thread is for people to vote, check out the directions at the beginning of the thread). Sorry for your baby girl and beautiful Ball Python tho.

Hello East Coast, this is not the right thread to post these :)
The thread is a photo competition that is already closed (the purpose of the thread is for people to vote, check out the directions at the beginning of the thread). Sorry for your baby girl and beautiful Ball Python tho.
OH I am so sorry! I still haven't completely learned how to navigate the site yet. I saw other animal posting and thought this would be the right one. I won't post anymore here. Again sorry.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
OH I am so sorry! I still haven't completely learned how to navigate the site yet. I saw other animal posting and thought this would be the right one. I won't post anymore here. Again sorry.
No worries, I trust the admin will move the posts to a different thread, I just wanted to let you know :)
We all had to learn at the beginning and your pets are adorable.

Ok, great thanks! I would like a big beautiful "display" T that I will 100% respect and not mess with unless feeding or tank upgrade/maintenance. I have 20L with a locking lid that could be his/her adult permanent housing that's good right?

I also noticed if I am not mistaken, Casey has curly-haired slings! To be honest, I think I trust you guys here to get my first T! Yes I would love a big old pink salmon bird eater but I would also like to support someone here since I have read breeding isn't easy so anyone selling slings, in my opinion, has put a lot of effort into it.

I'm going to go over and message her now.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ok, great thanks! I would like a big beautiful "display" T that I will 100% respect and not mess with unless feeding or tank upgrade/maintenance. I have 20L with a locking lid that could be his/her adult permanent housing that's good right?

I also noticed if I am not mistaken, Casey has curly-haired slings! To be honest, I think I trust you guys here to get my first T! Yes I would love a big old pink salmon bird eater but I would also like to support someone here since I have read breeding isn't easy so anyone selling slings, in my opinion, has put a lot of effort into it.

I'm going to go over and message her now.
Yes, she has slings T. alpobilosus for $10 a piece. You can get 2 plus shipping for $30 which is an amazing deal.
20L for an adult LP will be too small I believe, except if you meant 20 gallons ;)

Yes, she has slings T. alpobilosus for $10 a piece. You can get 2 plus shipping for $30 which is an amazing deal.
20L for an adult LP will be too small I believe, except if you meant 20 gallons ;)
Yes, I meant a 20-gallon long tank.
BUT I messaged Casey she gave me the scoop on how I can try to get one (a sling) and I am so stoked waiting for a reply. I'm going to work on my essay for college to let some time pass then come back and check to see if I got a reply. I would just get one for now although you have a good point getting two would be a great deal. I will think about it over the next hour while I work on my essay. Thanks for all the convo it is really nice of you to be so helpful and kind!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, I meant a 20-gallon long tank.
BUT I messaged Casey she gave me the scoop on how I can try to get one (a sling) and I am so stoked waiting for a reply. I'm going to work on my essay for college to let some time pass then come back and check to see if I got a reply. I would just get one for now although you have a good point getting two would be a great deal. I will think about it over the next hour while I work on my essay. Thanks for all the convo it is really nice of you to be so helpful and kind!
Break a leg with your essay!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I know I am late to this. But all T's are individuals. In the same way that all Pit Bulls are vicious & not all kittens are cute & cuddly.

In general LP's are great first T's. The only downside being a need for a stock of hayfever tablets, antihistamines. As most LP's are very sharing with their urticating hair. That is deliberately irritating hair that they use as a first line of defence. And a hayfever tablet, in my experience stops the irritation quickly.

I have no idea what the venom of an LP is like, but I have always supposed it to be very mild. However, my 8 inch plus girl, would I imagine, give a very nasty bite, simply due to her size.

I prefer not to handle my T's. But a few of my T's , my big LP girl, being one of them. Does not see my hand as an indication she should not go any further & she does thus occasionally climb onto my hand. It is a lovely experience, but one, which I do not encourage or really want.

If you do choose to handle, my advice would be do it centimetres above a table, not inches, as inches are bigger. As any fall could be dangerous to a T.

Latest posts