• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phorid Flies HELPPPPPP!!!!!!!

blackjack000

3 Year Member
Ive been dealing with these dam things what seems like forever just when I think ive got them beat they pop back up. Now with me being new to tarantulas I see them in the enclosures and now I see little larva crawling on the walls of these enclosures the enclosures are bone dry but in some of my sling enclosures you cant get to the debris because you would have to tear the whole enclosure apart , I have set up glue traps with dead crickets on them and that gets quite a few and the whole thing is I don't think its like an epidemic its just enough to be a pain in the butt and I don't want them harming my spiders. I usually don't keep crickets as I have many different kinds of roaches the roach bins have cleaner crews in them which keeps those bins clean but you still see them in there. I'm starting to think this new outbreak happened when I brought in the new eco earth for the spider enclosures will they hurt my spiders any help would be greatly appreciated.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not really sure what damage they r capable of. But sounds like u might have to setup ur spiders with new digs and thoroughly wash the enclosures they r in...sometimes starting from scratch is the best way. Unless anyone else has any better ideas.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
amazing what a quick google search will come up with ;)

http://www.doyourownpestcontrol.com/phorid-flies.htm
http://www.orkin.com/flies/phorid-humpbacked-fly/

commonly confused with gnats and fruit flies. Love moisture, they'll breed and lay eggs in any moist organic matter. Also called Drain flies in some areas as they tend to breed in floor drains.

Key to removal = disable/remove their breeding areas. If there's moisture they'll find it and breed. Bad cases may require professional extermination.

My suggestion - rehouse the T's (use @Entity post above) in a different room that are free of these flies (if there is one) they tend to stay close to their breeding areas. Then tape off that room (seal the door, windows, tape over outlets etc) and bomb it. If there's more than 1 room infected remove the T's (take them to a friends for a couple days) and bomb the house. Bug bomb that is, you want to have somewhere to live afterwards ;)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If there's maggots in there you're best bet may be simply to just dump out the substrate, clean the enclosures out good and rehouse them. I know it's s bit of a pain but better safe than sorry.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I only see phorid flies in cricket and superworm enclosures. Never seen them in my roach bins. I just stopped using worms for that reason. Pure roaches now, I think its best that way. My own colonies cared for by me, and nothing else. They can have dubias and lats, or for variety, lats and dubias.

blackjack000

3 Year Member
well heres an update it seems as if right now and ive got my fingers crossed the flies are gone heres what I did take the flat glue boards put dead crickets on the boards and put them all around in your animal room I even taped them to the sides of my roach bins the flies land on the board to get to the crickets and get stuck. also make sure your roach bins have cleaner crews in them except the roaches that lay eggs because they will consume them, so far the flies are all gone I hope it lasts!!!!!

Latest posts