• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P.subfusca

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
I posted this pic in a few of the facebook page groups, but thought I should add it here as well...

Not that it means much, as both the parents of these were captive bred and not wild caught, but here is a cool comparison.
Both of these are females and both the same size and from the same sac (Hatched out by me). They have always had this difference in colouration. The parents were both lowland.

Here is a pic of the parents:

Quite a colour difference amongst siblings.

Andy Sherwood

3 Year Member
I posted this pic in a few of the facebook page groups, but thought I should add it here as well...

Not that it means much, as both the parents of these were captive bred and not wild caught, but here is a cool comparison.
Both of these are females and both the same size and from the same sac (Hatched out by me). They have always had this difference in colouration. The parents were both lowland.

Here is a pic of the parents:

Quite a colour difference amongst siblings.

Very interesting!

Have you observed this with other Poecilotheria species?

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just more proof that a visual comparison of tarantulas is not reliable. Hence all the confusion in the Aphonopelma Genus.

Andy Sherwood

3 Year Member
No, just with subfusca.
This is relating to the whole highland/lowland issue.

I am aware of the debate, though I only keep a handful of Pokies.

Just more proof that a visual comparison of tarantulas is not reliable. Hence all the confusion in the Aphonopelma Genus.

Nobody really has a clue, it's gone along way down the pan since Baerg's day!

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
They are both stunning. I had one called Grumple, but so called friend of mine who was baby sitting him for me, sold him for money to buy weed! Needless to say we are no longer friends

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Interesting! And beautiful spiders too! Do you keep them communally?

The 2 photographed are not kept communally, but I have some others that are.

P.striata adult female + 10 juvies between 10 and 13cm from one of her sacs.
P.subfusca female + 3 juvies around 7cm from one of her sacs.
P.formosa female + 10 slings around 5cm from one of her sacs
P.rufilata - 5 slings around 4cm

Latest posts