• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Old Male Missing Pedipalp

Hagraven

Just this morning I noticed springtails crawling ON my old male Chilobrachys Huahini, "Dinin."

Took me a minute but to my grief I observed the springtails must be seeking moisture, ect from a wound- one of Dinin's pedipalps lay at his feet! I have no idea how this has happened. He is very, very old, but I have not known limbs to be lost as such, in old age, because of old age?

Is this normal for old spiders? Old males?

And any chance of helping him heal the wound? Is it necessary? As you can imagine, he is very skittish and likely would not be comfortable with my applying cornstarch, ect.

As always, just want these guys to be comfortable. As far as husbandry, I keep his sub moist, always offer water. He has a hide. He ate a small dubia recently. Lots of springtails in his enclosure. He was not happy with me taking pictures, but hopefully they will shed some light on this. I really appreciate your time and experience and help!

20231103_083835.jpg

20231103_083426.jpg

Attachments

• 20231103_085220.jpg
    20231103_085220.jpg
    581.2 KB · Views: 10

Hagraven

*Update,
Before leaving for work, with my partner's encouragement, I was able to apply a small amount of cornstarch to the wound, just in case. Thanks again for your help

Hagraven

*Update,
After watching handfuls of springtails crawling over his wound and under his carapace, I decided to move Dinin to a much smaller, less busy, enclosure for a day or two. I had read a smaller enclosure might help one's animal not additionally hurt themselves with unnecessary movement, considering the injury. Yet I also read how moving your animal, "overcaring" for your animal, might be just as hurtful. I just don't know how he might have lost his pedipalp- perhaps if I found him (and the palp) beside a vent, maybe it got stuck, but I am not seeing anything quite like that- far more unknown.
For now I will let Dinin be, and hope for the best. If any have similar experiences, let me know! Thank you, all the best

*the white on Dinin is cornstarch

20231103_221250.jpg

20231103_193456.jpg

20231103_221254.jpg

20231103_194305.jpg

Attachments

• 20231103_155443.jpg
    20231103_155443.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 5

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can’t really comment on your situation, but I have had a male Harpactira dictator with one pedipalp. He didn’t seem to have any issues. I even paired him as well.

Hagraven

I can’t really comment on your situation, but I have had a male Harpactira dictator with one pedipalp. He didn’t seem to have any issues. I even paired him as well.
Non-human animals are amazing. The strength they reguarly display is inspiring. My old man so far appears healthy, and I've no doubt he will carry on. Hope all this is nothing more than a very scary accident!

Hagraven

Update,

After keeping Dinin in a smaller enclosure, and with no springtails, for 2 or 3 days, I moved him back home today. Within the hour he abandoned his "legs-up" posture of worry, and to my delight seemed much more comfortable, cleaning himself and walking about. To my frustration however, springtails were drawn to his wound. After cornstarch and 2 or 3 days, the wound remains appealing to them. Dinin is not reacting as if he is worried about it, but I sure am. Much as it would upset him, I am considering moving him again to be rid of the springtails.

Anyone have any information on springtails opening or agrivating partially closed wounds? You'll see a few moving over him in the attached video.

Appreciate you guys

20231106_185245.jpg

Attachments

• 20231106_200825.mp4
    13.1 MB

Lawrence b

3 Year Member
I think if does not looked stressed back in is old enclosure . then maybe the springtails are not bothering him . The last thing you want is to stress the old guy out , but that's only my opinion .

Hagraven

I think if does not looked stressed back in is old enclosure . then maybe the springtails are not bothering him . The last thing you want is to stress the old guy out , but that's only my opinion .
I appreciate it. After some thought I'm planing to let him be for a few days and see how he is at that time

Latest posts