• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Old keeper back from retirement

Iain

Used to Keep T's 18 odd years ago but gave it up as life gave me other priorities, but now I've found myself drawn back into the world of the Tarantula so I've Joined this Forum to re educate myself as I'm sure certain ideas and ways have changed and of course many new species have been found and bred since my last time. I've got a couple of Beginners T's to start getting used to having them around a G. Pulchra, Brachypelma hamorii both slings and a rather shy Juvenile Aphonopelma chalcodes but hoping to move on to the next level but won't run before I can walk.

E

ExMember

Congrats on getting back in the hobby! Lots of changes even in the last few years. They have split Brachypelma up, split avicularia up and new techniques for keeping avics alive (sads was all husbandry) etc.

Having a house full of t's is awesome :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Used to Keep T's 18 odd years ago but gave it up as life gave me other priorities, but now I've found myself drawn back into the world of the Tarantula so I've Joined this Forum to re educate myself as I'm sure certain ideas and ways have changed and of course many new species have been found and bred since my last time. I've got a couple of Beginners T's to start getting used to having them around a G. Pulchra, Brachypelma hamorii both slings and a rather shy Juvenile Aphonopelma chalcodes but hoping to move on to the next level but won't run before I can walk.
Welcome back :)
You have come to the best place for advice and a friendly group always willing to share knowledge.
You will soon be back to a house full, or garage in my instance... ha ha
Any questions, feel free to ask :)
20191231_141516.jpg

E

ExMember

You have come to the best place for advice and a friendly group always willing to share knowledge.
View attachment 43236
What are those clear plastic enclosures on the second shelf of the top right picture? They look like sterilite but way more clear. I have a bunch of juvies in KK'S and love how clear they are:D

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What are those clear plastic enclosures on the second shelf of the top right picture? They look like sterilite but way more clear. I have a bunch of juvies in KK'S and love how clear they are:D
they were just storage boxes from Poundstretcher I think they were £5 for 3 (9 litre I think). Just check the lids close properly if you are in the shop as I have noticed all the recent ones I have looked at do not click down like these have always done. Hope you find some :)

Iain

View attachment 43236
Thank you, that's a very impressive collection not sure the wife would be happy with that many but I will push my luck as far as I can haha

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thank you, that's a very impressive collection not sure the wife would be happy with that many but I will push my luck as far as I can haha
my wife wasn't (now ex) ha ha
My profile has the following inspiration message...."If someone says you have too many Ts, get rid of them, you don't need that negativity in your life"

I talk the talk and walk the walk! LOL :D

Iain

Congrats on getting back in the hobby! Lots of changes even in the last few years. They have split Brachypelma up, split avicularia up and new techniques for keeping avics alive (sads was all husbandry) etc.

Having a house full of t's is awesome :)
Thank you yes I've seen a lot of changes already the Internet is a big help now back when I started it was books and the shops you brought them from with the information Internet was there but in its infancy really but now its all there but still prefer to hear from the people who are actually hands on and have kept all varieties of T's that's where the knowledge is

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know I keep finding myself looking on sites for new T's and having to be strong and not go to mad to start with
there is a for sale link on the forum when you have done research on line. There is also a really good gallery section to look for actual member's tarantulas rather than those edited examples you get on google images.

Once you have found a particular species you are after, check out the for sale lists - look for the prefix of UK for a couple of regular (and reputable) sellers (my good self @Phil and @T-Baby ) we both have excellent reviews on the vendors feedback threads too.

Latest posts