• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

OBT trapped in its own web?

SamuraiLawyer

3 Year Member
My OBT sling (1") has a burrow in substrate, the outside of which has been encased in an elaborate web tunnel. I feed one pinhead cricket twice a week, which it typically dispatches within seconds. But in the last week, any time I feed, when the cricket approaches the web or burrow, the OBT runs out to investigate and sometimes positions itself directly over the cricket, as if to strike. But it doesn't, because it never leaves the web, so there is web between it and the cricket. Has the OBT trapped itself? Could it break through the web if it wanted to? I might think this is simply pre-molt behavior, if not for the way the OBT races out of the burrow to inspect intruders.

trailblazin02

3 Year Member
It will def break through any webbing to get to a cricket. My little guy will collapse his entire cube to get his meals. Theres nothing to worry about and could be pre molt if it's not eating.

Deemar

3 Year Member
Pre-molt. I've had a spider not eat for 11.5 months once, now that's stressful. I wouldn't worry about it.

SamuraiLawyer

3 Year Member
Pre-molt it was. I came in this morning to a surprise but successful molt. It did the entire molt suspended up from the substrate floor in it's web on the side of the cup. Unorthodox, but amazing.

Latest posts