• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Norfolk (UK) wild parakeets.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I found the following when looking something up for my ring neck.
For better, or worse, the arrival of ring-necked parakeets as a breeding bird in Norwich marks another chapter in their incredible success story says Norfolk Wildlife Trust Reserves Officer Robert Morgan.
https://www.norfolkwildlifetrust.or...on-s-exotic-birds-make-norwich-their-new-home
The ring-necked, or occasionally referred to as the rose-ringed parakeet, originates from India and being versatile and adaptable they are distributed across a variety of habitats there, feeding on buds, berries, seeds and nuts. British parakeets always dominate bird-tables, taking whatever kitchen scraps are provided.

I know every species is different, but it does show why species from places like India do not necessarily need a heat mat to thrive when inside a UK home.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
We have more than a few wild parrot flocks in our region of Southern California that have come from the pet trade. I know their home habitat matches ours pretty closely but finding food always seemed like the issue to me.

Jeef

3 Year Member
From Wikipedia: "Its adaptations to cold winters in the Himalayan foothills allow it to easily withstand European winter conditions.[3] The European populations became established during the mid-to-late 20th century."

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
From Wikipedia: The European populations became established during the mid-to-late 20th century."

The first record of Parakeets breeding in the wild within the UK was in Norfolk. I do not know where exactly, but it was in 1855.

And what the wiki link shows, is that just because we think of somewhere as a hot country. It is not always so right across the whole of India.
Some seem to forget that even deserts get snow & Death Valley, the hottest place in the world, sees overnight winter temperatures routinely drop close to zero degrees.

Some species do need extra warmth, when kept in the UK etc. But not all.

Latest posts