• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

newbie. Mexican red leg/ Green bottle blue owner

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hi guys/girls.
as the title says i'm a newbie to Mexican red leg and green bottle blue tarantulas. 15 yrs ago i owned a male Chilean rose who i looked after for about 2 yrs before he died. He was a large male when i got him and moulted once in my care.he was very active and like being handled.
So I've had both my new T's for nearly a week . The Mexican red leg is the biggest of the two and i think if im measuring right is roughly 3-3.5 inch. and the GBB is roughly 2.5-3 inch. we know the MRL is a female but the sex of the GBB is unknown as yet.

I've a few questions if some kind person doesn't mind answering them for me please ;)

1. i don't see much of my spiders is this normal?
2. none of my spiders have made any kind of webbing is this normal.
3.GBB's sex is unknown is there anything i can look for? (next moult)?

Thanks for stopping by
sym. any question please ask.

Jesse254

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forum:

1. My Mexican Red Leg is out quite a bit. My GBB is almost always webbed in so do not see it much. All are different even if the same species.
2. Some of my make lots of web and some hardly any.
3. Read the sexing your tarantula section

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hi jesse254. ive only had the spiders for nearly a week. maybe im just being inpatient lol.
maybe im comparing these to my old chilean rose . he was always on the move and web making.

thanks for your reply
sym..

newtots

3 Year Member
1. i was told that any tarantula under 2 inches hides a lot for security.. i almost never see mine and i have 5.
2. not all will web, i have 2 right now that love to web and then cover their web with dirt when they burrow... some really like to web and others don't.
3... i'm not sure about sexing as mine are all slings and too small to tell.

i have a Euathlus sp red, Brachypelma albopilosum, 2 Lasiodora parahybana, and a Acanthoscurria geniculata

welcome to the forums!!!

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
hi newtots. when does a sling become a juvenile?. i cant wait to see more vivid colours on my GBB. out of the 2 the GBB is my fav.
looking forward to learning more and maybe some more in the future.

thanks for stopping by

sym

newtots

3 Year Member
as far as i've been told a Juvie is from 2in to about 4in.
Sub adult is 4 to 5in.
Adult is when they mature so between 5-6in.
mine are all slings.. my euathlus sp red is 1/4", and so is my Acanthoscurria geniculata, my Brachypelma albopilosum and one of my Lasiodora parahybana are 1/2" and my other Lasiodora parahybana is 3/4"... but the slings are all so cute lol

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm very happy. I've just watched my GBB eat a micro cricket. And the MRL is out and sat in the corner.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the welcome .
I've been reading on the Internet that people are saying GBB's are not to be handled? Is this true?

Latest posts