• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to T keeping!

legacyxboo

3 Year Member
I'm looking at getting my first tarantula in a couple weeks and I want to make sure I don't make any rookie mistakes. First of all I am looking at getting a Honduran Curlyhair Tarantula with a 1/2" legspan and I was wondering what size tank should I get and will I need a different tank for when it's full grown?
How long will it take for the T to grow to full size?
Also is a glass fish tank with a screen top okay or will I need a more secure lid?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi :) welcome to the boards.

A very small container or even a deli cup for a half inch sling will suffice. B albopilosum is a great first tarantula. No way to tell you how fast it will.grow that's dependant on temperature, how often it's fed and the individual T. Screen tops are never advised, often times a spider will catch a claw in it and injure themselves severely. Also, the problem with tanks is filling it with enough substrate.
A b albo sling is going to burrow and bulldozer a lot. Check the local dollar store for a cup size glad container. Cheap, large enough for one that size and easy to set up. Your going to drill or poke ventilation holes all the way around it. Little ones so the sling doesn't get out.
Make sure your new baby has safe substrate coco peat or coir works well, and pack it to about an inch from the top. Give it a water bottle cap for water and a little piece of cork or plastic plant to hide under while it acclimates.
Don't let the pet shops sell you anything extra without checking with us or another forum. You do NOT need gauges sponge etc.

Last edited:

Telson

3 Year Member
Yep, no tank. Not for 4 years or so. Lol. Then you can get a 2.5 gallon, until it matures, around 7-8 years for females, 4-6 for males. Then a ten gallon will be spacious enough :)

Latest posts