• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New T

GreenTreeSkink

3 Year Member
hello I am new to this forum
I have an adult Rose hair tarantula and I'm getting a baby tarantula this weekend.
I was thinking about getting a Mexican Red Knee but to be honest i dont know much about different types of Tarantulas so I was hoping to get some other suggestions :)

jtrux

3 Year Member
That's a good choice, I have one. I'd also recommend a Chaco golden knee, I really like them. Now that I think of it get both :)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It all depends on what you want. Give us an idea of what your looking for in a spider and we'll make some suggestions .
But you definitely can't go wrong with a red knee, or a Chaco.

jtrux

3 Year Member
Kenny makes a good point. Give us an idea of what you're looking for. Are you looking for something docile and handleable or something that's more of a display only animal?

Things to consider:

Size
Husbandry requirements
Temperment (of course varies with individuals)
Whether or not it burrows (if it does you will rarely see it)
Cost (once again, could be a factor depending on what you're set on)

I think that wraps it up pretty well...let us know what those requirements are and we can make suggestions appropriately.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Kenny makes a good point. Give us an idea of what you're looking for. Are you looking for something docile and handleable or something that's more of a display only animal?

Things to consider:

Size
Husbandry requirements
Temperment (of course varies with individuals)
Whether or not it burrows (if it does you will rarely see it)
Cost (once again, could be a factor depending on what you're set on)

I think that wraps it up pretty well...let us know what those requirements are and we can make suggestions appropriately.

Excellent post, I'd just like to add Growth Rate. Somepeople don't want to wait years for a .25" Aphnopelma to hit .50" lol

Atx13

3 Year Member
Can't go wrong with a Mexican Redknee! A. Avic.( pinktoe) is a good choice for a first or second addition.. Really up to what your looking for in a tarantula. :)

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A. avic! (I know, I know...I'm so biased lol)....but they really are very beautiful and relaxed T's :)

GreenTreeSkink

3 Year Member
Tanks for all the replys! What initially got my attention with the red knee was how friendly they were and that was going to be my first tarantula but the day I was buying one I went big and bought a 400$ green tree python so I kept it cheap with the rose hair. Now i don't really care much about having one to handle and I don't want something expensive. (Under 80) I have a spare 10 gallon so probably something that's not arboreal, I'm not looking to convert the tank. And I also have a smaller tank, probably 2.5 gallons I was planning on keeping the baby spider in. Sorry I don't know any of the lingo haha :/

Also one thing that would be cool is to have a tarantula that kind of is active but I don't know if any tarantulas are. My rosé hair stays in one place most of the day haha.

GreenTreeSkink

3 Year Member
One other thing I like about the red knee was the fact that they have some color on them, I'm just not dead set on one and am wondering if there are others that stand out as well

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tanks in general, are bad enclosures for tarantulas, I suggest plastic shoeboxes, or sweater boxes. If you get a spiderling 9baby spider) you want to keep it in a deli cup or even a vial.
Acanthoscurria Geniculata (Giant White Knee) fits all of your Criteria. as do most Brachypema sp (such as the red knee) However, Tarantulas in general do spend much of their day staying still.

GreenTreeSkink

3 Year Member
is there a good enclosure other than those 100$ "tarantula cages" made of plastic? Its hard to justify buying those at such high prices

Atx13

3 Year Member
I suggest plastic shoeboxes, or sweater boxes. If you get a spiderling 9baby spider) you want to keep it in a deli cup or even a vial.
^^^ Go to like walmart or something, and you can find these containers that Kenny had recommended. They really are good, CHEAP housing options :)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
^^^ Go to like walmart or something, and you can find these containers that Kenny had recommended. They really are good, CHEAP housing options :)

Yep, walmart,target,the container store, even grocery stores all have good options.

jtrux

3 Year Member
Eupalaestrus campestratus Pink Zebra Beauty is another good one. BUT Kenny menioned the Brazilian White Knee and it would definitely be nice as well OR a Chaco Golden Knee OR all three lol

When you buy a baby, more than likely it will be able to live in the little container it comes in for a good while so get a couple, that's what I alwasy do when i'm shopping for T's. It's more fun that way.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Eupalaestrus campestratus Pink Zebra Beauty is another good one. BUT Kenny menioned the Brazilian White Knee and it would definitely be nice as well OR a Chaco Golden Knee OR all three lol

When you buy a baby, more than likely it will be able to live in the little container it comes in for a good while so get a couple, that's what I alwasy do when i'm shopping for T's. It's more fun that way.

I can't agree more! PZB are amazing Ts, good size, gorgeous, and extremely mellow.

Latest posts