• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New spooder parent: Question about habitat

Arirang

Hello, all!

I have an Arizona desert blonde named Galadriel who lives in a 10 gallon terrarium. I was wondering what, if any, live plants I could do. She is nowhere near direct sunlight and I'd like to avoid having a light directly on her. When I am home, it receives artificial light, but is still quite shady. Obviously, with it being a desert tarantula, I can't have something with high water needs.

I was wondering if there might be a succulent that has low-light needs. Maybe an air plant? I'd like it to be something her prey (sticking to crickets) would not eat (or at least destructively so).

If there are none, that's fine. I'll get a few small artificial just to give the place some color and interest.

Thanks! ^_^

Arirang

Addendum: How far can she safely fall? I have it filled so there is only four and a half inches of space, vertically speaking, but she seems determined to hang from the lid. Especially over her (hard, polyresin) cave and drinking bowl. It worries me because I have been told even two inches can maim or kill?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
An A. chalcodes should be kept dry, so I wouldn't recommend live plants. 10 gallon enclosures are a bit to large for most species including an A. chalcodes. I assume the enclosure has a screen top, if so I would recommend replacing it with plexiglass. A picture of enclosure will help us to better help
you. Lights are highly unnecessary.

Arirang

It's a bit dirty because I forgot it belonged to my hermit crabs, so hard water marks on the glass, but here. She seems to fit nicely, light is limited, and it's a heavy wire grate top.

Attachments

• IMG_20180718_222554.jpg
    IMG_20180718_222554.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 17

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Here's a picture of my female A. Chalcodes enclosure. All the plants and cactus are fake (sorry about the flash). Like @PanzoN88 said they like it dry and the extra humidity drives my girl nuts. She tries to dig up all the plants so real ones wouldn't stand a chance with her. Also I find the fake plants are super easy to wash after they poo everywhere. My T. Stirmi tank has really plants and they are covered with poo and I can't get it all off...looks gross. She loves all the cover too...she's in the back of the photo next to the wall.
20180616_195546.jpg

Arirang

I have the large version of that tank for my royal python, Nagini! :3

So, one /can/ put a lot of decor with tarantulas? Everything I've ever seen for terrestrial species has always been very bare and depressing. Only reason I never got a tarantula before now. But if I can spruce it up a bit...

Latest posts