• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New... Sort of.

porcelainpig

3 Year Member
About 4 or 5 years ago I acquired a rose hair from a friend that didn't want it. They were just gonna kill it and I have a hard time letting living things die. It's good they're easy to care for because, in all honesty, I don't know how this guy/girl is still alive. :/ Been with me in some pretty ridiculous situations... I joined this forum to familiarize myself with them, and to take better care of it.

It sort of took on the name 'Creep' or 'Creepy' because that's what people say around it. Seems docile enough... I've held it once and that was good for me. I'm not sure on specifics of caring for them, because I don't know what behaviors to look for if Creep does approve of something. A while back I bought a bark enclosure so Creep could hide and literally never see it anymore, so I know s/he likes that. That is all.

Should I be putting special dirt in it's cage? I have only ever used straight potting soil. I have a feeling that's not suggested. Seems to never eat unless I offer it moths or praying mantis, which are scarce for me now. Never eats crickets. I've heard and read half yes and no about putting a sponge in it's water dish. Been using infrared heat lamps on it when it's super cold...

I suppose I've been doing something right as Creep is still alive, but I have an opportunity right now to make this creature really happy, and I'd like to do that. Any input is highly appreciated. : )

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
wttb.
Rosies are pretty easy, keep em dry with a water bowl, and feed em once a week. DoNot feed wild caught insects, they can cary pesticides and kill your T. Spounges are bad. All they do is collect bacteria. Just a bowl of fresh water is fine.
If your potting soil is pesticide free it's fine, just keep it dry.
feel free to ask any other questions you have.

porcelainpig

3 Year Member
Oh, good! I'm glad potting soil isn't bad, lol. I have an issue though keeping humidity at 70% though, so I usually spray the dirt. Would soaking a log of wood and putting it in there increase the humidity? Or are there devices that help? I hear they grow slowly but I haven't seen Creep moult in about two or three years, I just want the humidity constant for that. It stays around 40% humid usually without spraying the dirt. What kind of substrate works?

Meal worms are a good idea. Do you leave them in the cage and let them burrow and turn into beetles?

Thanks for the advices! : )
2013-02-04 14.46.38.jpg
2013-02-04 14.45.45.jpg
2013-02-04 14.46.08.jpg

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
Some potting soil is now made from pine, which is NOT good so just make sure yours is not. I actually prefer EcoEarth cocofiber for all of my ts. It's generally the "substrate of choice". As far as putting a wet piece of wood in there, probably not a good idea. It would probably just mold. For your t, a full water dish overflowed now and again should be fine. I don't even check humidity in mine. If the heat in my house is running a lot, I will rum a humidifier in my t room. Meal worms are ok but I wouldn't feed them solely. Crickets or roaches (not wild caught) are fine, with an occasional mealworm. Mealworms are very fatty and not a good total source of nutrition. Oh, and your t is beautiful :)

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Creepy is gorgeous. I cant believe someone was going to kill her. Im glad she is safe now .

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lovely pictures! Also, I agree with not worrying about humidity for Rose hairs. I just overflow the water dish once every 2-3 weeks, and make sure to keep a fresh supply of water in her dish. Other than that I just keep her at room temperature and feed her 1-2 crickets every week or two. As for the meal worms, I would take Dalilah's advice and just put them in a small dish. I have yet to find anything that will really eat the beetles (though I have heard some accounts of people's t's eating them). They are really easy to breed though, if you're looking to 'grow' your own T food :)

Latest posts