• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New molting tarantula - crickets

esotericgems

I just got my first curly haired tarantula. It had been about 10 days since the last feeding, so yesterday I put in two crickets.

The crickets are nowhere to be found, I don’t see them anywhere in the enclosure.

But this morning I woke up to find my tarantula on its back, definitely molting.

I’ve read plenty of advice to remove the crickets to protect the molting tarantula but I can’t find them, and moving the wood would disturb the T.

I can do my best to keep an eye on it, if I see a cricket moving towards the T I will remove it.

Has anyone had this happen?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I think we have all had crickets that vanish into the enclosure & then had them pop out into view during a molt & personal experience is. If a cricket is going to pop into view during a molt, you can guarantee it will not be in an accessible place they do it.

I am not sure if anyone has ever tested the IQ of crickets. But they seem to know exactly where they can be seen & not caught & they are also very good at vanishing when they know you are looking for them.

Pop a piece of something like potato, a grape or similar in the enclosure. It sometimes works & probably 50% or more of the time. Crickets like the sugary moisture in the fruit/ veg.

esotericgems

I think we have all had crickets that vanish into the enclosure & then had them pop out into view during a molt & personal experience is. If a cricket is going to pop into view during a molt, you can guarantee it will not be in an accessible place they do it.

I am not sure if anyone has ever tested the IQ of crickets. But they seem to know exactly where they can be seen & not caught & they are also very good at vanishing when they know you are looking for them.

Pop a piece of something like potato, a grape or similar in the enclosure. It sometimes works & probably 50% or more of the time. Crickets like the sugary moisture in the fruit/ veg.
Thank you!