• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New G. rosea tank, looking for suggestions on sub!

Kytkattin

3 Year Member
For Octavia's 7th birthday with me I am making her a new build for her tank. The previous build is one solid piece that makes cleaning and feeding more of a pain than it should be. She has lived in it for 2 years, and it is time for a change. So far I have the skeleton mostly how I want it (pictured), I just need to Quickcrete it now. The weather is not really perfect for that , so it will take me a few days/weeks before it is fully finished. Once it is finished, I am curious as to what sub I should use. In the past, I have always used coconut fiber, and she honestly hates it. She webs over it completely so she doesn't have to walk on it and generally gets really upset whenever I redo her tank and put new in (once every year or two). She walks around raising her legs up really high and hides on top of her log for a few days. I don't care for it much either, as it looks like fluffy dirt. Maybe I am just not using it right? It never seems to compact like real dirt for me. What alternatives do I have or could I mix it with something? This new build will only have sub on the lower level, the top will be sub free completely. Should I include some sort of sub free hiding spot on the surface as well as the burrow? I feel like giving her multiple hiding places is excessive, but she has 10 gallons all to herself so we aren't lacking in space either.

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions!

Attachments

• 1380603_10152032118636383_1910277748_n.jpg
    1380603_10152032118636383_1910277748_n.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 34

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Have you tried peat moss? I have no experience with it, having also only used coco fiber, but apparently it's right up there with coco fiber as the top two sub types to use with tarantulas.

Kytkattin

3 Year Member
I decided to go with coco again. I worry that the peat will retain too much moisture. This time though, I am going to get it, and make it is REALLY dry before I put it into her tank. Which is fine, because her new build isn't dry yet either. It is expanding now, and I will put it on to of the fridge to dry quicker once it doesn't look like a brick.