• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New addition- B. Hamorii

thholyghst

Picked up a Brachypelma hamorii today and she (was sexed as F) appears to be getting ready to molt. I didn’t see her abdomen until I got her home but her booty is bald af (you can’t see it at the angle of the picture but it’s the entire rest of her abdomen). Colors a little muted but still pretty vibrant. I was told she ate recently. I wanted to get a few more pics of her but she was feelin a little spastic lol

After getting her in her enclosure I’m wondering if I need something a bit larger. Currently she’s in an 8x4x4 acrylic by Zilla. Should I size up now or do I have some time? I just don’t want to disturb her unnecessarily.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_8651.jpeg
    IMG_8651.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

GarField000

3 Year Member
8x8 would be better, but if you sthink she is going to molt I would not move her.
but why do you think she's about tol molt? The booty doesn't look like an upcomming molt.
Bold spot or bold patches are not always a asign for a molt. Stress could do the same thing.

If she is eating next week I would move her, if not I would keep her there until she ate after the molt.

thholyghst

8x8 would be better, but if you sthink she is going to molt I would not move her.
but why do you think she's about tol molt? The booty doesn't look like an upcomming molt.
Bold spot or bold patches are not always a asign for a molt. Stress could do the same thing.

If she is eating next week I would move her, if not I would keep her there until she ate after the molt.
So she was at a local pet store and when I was asking questions about her I was told that she’s a good eater and is pretty active but has been less active because she’s about to molt. It very well could be stress related due to habitat though. She was in an acrylic cube, super low sub (maybe an inch honestly) and no hide whatsoever. The associate that got her out for me freaked out while relocating her into a box (literally screamed bloody murder and scared the **** out of the poor thing). The person answering my question’s seemed to be more comfortable and knowledgeable but habitat conditions were not ideal. I just don’t want to cause her more stress right now if I don’t have to but I really want to get her into a more comfy space. Here’s a better pic of her abdomen.

Attachments

• IMG_8658.jpeg
    IMG_8658.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2

GarField000

3 Year Member
T's have stress only for a short while. The problem with rehousing while into molt the molt could more off a chalenge for her.
Maybe it's best you rehome her now so she can make the new enclosure her house.