• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

need some tips bad(newbie)

Joseph Long

3 Year Member
i have a avic avic pink toe (1.5" and i don't know the sex) and i need to know if i'm caring for it correctly. It's housed in a 5.5 gallon tank, small water dish always full of water, has a little 5x2.5" box for a cave until i get something better, and i feed it little crickets. i have a 50 watt red bulb lamp on top of the cage (lady i bought it from told me it can always be on.
0 It made a web at the opening of the box and it just stays in there. It moves around in there but doesn't come out, at least i don't see when or if it does. Am i caring for it correctly?

hellknite

3 Year Member
It does not come out possibly because it's avoiding the red lamp.. try shutting it down and see what happens..

DVirginiana

3 Year Member
Hi,
I'm very new to tarantulas, so you may want to wait for someone with more experience to tell you whether or not these suggestions are okay, but I have years of experience managing heat/humidity for finicky amphibians!
They sell betta fish heat pads at most petstores that cover a very small surface area and never get very hot. It's about the smallest/safest heat source you can get if you don't want to use a lamp and can't control ambient temp. Depending on placement, it can increase or decrease humidity.
If you need to increase humidity, I've found putting cling-wrap over about the upper 1/3 of ventilation will very quickly raise humidity. It's nice since you can easily take it off and put it on again as needed.

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
i have a avic avic pink toe (1.5" and i don't know the sex) and i need to know if i'm caring for it correctly. It's housed in a 5.5 gallon tank, small water dish always full of water, has a little 5x2.5" box for a cave until i get something better, and i feed it little crickets. i have a 50 watt red bulb lamp on top of the cage (lady i bought it from told me it can always be on.
0 It made a web at the opening of the box and it just stays in there. It moves around in there but doesn't come out, at least i don't see when or if it does. Am i caring for it correctly?

Hello,
5 gallon tank is a bit large for a small T. 1.5" is a bit small for a T to be Sexing it but it is not impossible. The cave you spoek of if it is on the ground it will never be used. better to stick a bit of cork bark in the corner up high. The ground cave will just be a place the crickets or roaches will end up hiding. The light worries me. is it a heat lamp? if so you will be hard pressed to keep humidity levels proper. NEHERP has some amazing LED Bulb Strips that screw into a standard light bulb socket almost no heat and makes colors pop. do you have several plants in the enclosure? stuff for it to climb up? This is a tree spider. and would rather use leaves to or bark to form a home up high even given the opportunity. They require lots of ventilation. Being a tree spider they are used to breezes and wind currents not a sealed damp enclosure. Other than that you made it to 1.5" so you got past the hard part.

Good luck.