• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need some helpful info about heating/ T. Temperament. [Please Delete]

ierydeary

3 Year Member
Hi all! I'm a new T owner and I'm a little concerned about a few things about my new rosey.

First of all, her enclosure stays at about 70 with her heat pad. It is winter and it can drop to a little below 60 at night, but its averages at 70-75 during the day. I also live in WA state, so the cold air is normal. But obviously not for her. So I was wondering; is she okay at this until Spring/Summer? I do want to get a lamp, just in case. She does have a heat pad, but it does not make things too hot. It's on the side of her terrarium, too.

Another question I have is about her temperament. I've never owned a T before this, so I have no experience to work with. I got a rose hair specifically because I wanted a mellow one that is at least all right being handled every so often. ( Yes I know that many many people think this is unwise, even so; I know the risks to myself and to her but I am just so fascinated with holding her and touching her. I am -VERY- careful and have only held her twice and briefly a third time when cleaning her enclosure.) The problem is that she seems to be a little irritable. Lately she has been very bitey. Not like lunge and bite but. She'll reach for the soft straw I use to nudge her to test her mood, and she'll hold it. And if I don't pull it away, she bites it. Once she did this, realized it wasn't alive and then left it alone and was perfectly calm. But the past two weeks she has done it but won't let go of the straw.

Does she perhaps think it is food? Do they grab and bite when defensive? Is she potentially just an aggressive tarantula, despite being a rosehair?

Sorry if my questions seem amateur. Frankly, I am an amateur. I love her very very much, even if I still don't understand her. She's a darling little baby, even if she likes to bite. :p

OH and I haven't even attempted to handle her since she has been 'grumpy'. No worries there.

Here's a picture for anyone interested in seeing my little pretty!
s68Z9dx.jpg

Therasoid

3 Year Member
OK, 70-75F is good temp., but 60F is too low IMO, they slow down movement at cooler temps. They are nocturnal and may refuse to eat with that low temp., G. rosea are known to fast for extended periods, sometimes for many months. If the enclosure is near a window or exterior wall/door move it to a warmer area of the room. A heat pad is OK on the side, I've never used them.

As for as their temperament, they are docile for the most part but that may change after a molt. I won't comment on handling, Ts are wild creatures, not dogs or cats. When you are prodding it with the straw, it is assuming you as a threat, and is reacting naturally. Treat a T as a fish in the aquarium, feed, keep it comfortable (dry substrate, water dish, a hide), avoid handling and you both will live happily ever after.

Btw, from the picture it looks like you have a G. rosea NCF known as G. porteri. Good looking one too, I currently have 5 adults 3 of which are teenagers. Lol!

Hope this helps.
Welcome to the forum and an awesome hobby.

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
A 60 drop is just fine, imo. I'm pretty sure they experience much lower temps in their native range. But as said, Ts slow down on activity, metabolism and appetite when it's cold.

All my Ts think of sticks, tongs and anything moving inside their enclosures as either food or threat. That's normal.

ierydeary

3 Year Member
Oh okay! I'm glad to know she's just doing the normal thing then. She has mellowed out, though I found her with two legs curled under at one point today and I panicked a little. Just in case, I got her some extra water and gave her some food.

Mostly she's been active? Well normal for what I have learned about rosehairs, anyway. They're kinda slow and lazy, huh? Which is why they're good for beginners?

I'm pretty interested in getting a Red-knee in the future.

@Therasoid Oooh neat. They didn't seem to have any other colors where I got her at. I'm a super girly girl, and I love pink, so I wanted a more red one but. I really like Briar's "personality". When I first met her in the store I asked if I could test her temperament a little. So the sales associate let me use some tongs to nudge her and she wound up just grabbing onto them and holding them. No biting or anything like that. Then she tried to climb out. This is kinda what made me choose her. Though I probably should have picked the bigger girl who was very very docile and mellow... :p

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Oh okay! I'm glad to know she's just doing the normal thing then. She has mellowed out, though I found her with two legs curled under at one point today and I panicked a little. Just in case, I got her some extra water and gave her some food.

Mostly she's been active? Well normal for what I have learned about rosehairs, anyway. They're kinda slow and lazy, huh? Which is why they're good for beginners?

I'm pretty interested in getting a Red-knee in the future.

@Therasoid Oooh neat. They didn't seem to have any other colors where I got her at. I'm a super girly girl, and I love pink, so I wanted a more red one but. I really like Briar's "personality". When I first met her in the store I asked if I could test her temperament a little. So the sales associate let me use some tongs to nudge her and she wound up just grabbing onto them and holding them. No biting or anything like that. Then she tried to climb out. This is kinda what made me choose her. Though I probably should have picked the bigger girl who was very very docile and mellow... :p
Well, may I suggest for your next T be a Brachypelma albopilosum? These, IMO, are a true beginner's tarantula. They are more docile than a rosea, grow to about 6", very good eaters, always rearranging their substrate and will make a burrow with deep enough substrate. I really enjoy my albo, named her Rae-na, she is a doll. [emoji4]

ierydeary

3 Year Member
Oh a curly hair would be pretty awesome. They're so cute. The only problem is I can't seem to find any local pet stores that have any. I've only been able to find the rosehairs and redknees. And I honestly can't afford to buy online. AND I can't find any local breeders for any tarantulas.

This hobby can be a little tricky if you don't know the right people haha.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Oh a curly hair would be pretty awesome. They're so cute. The only problem is I can't seem to find any local pet stores that have any. I've only been able to find the rosehairs and redknees. And I honestly can't afford to buy online. AND I can't find any local breeders for any tarantulas.

This hobby can be a little tricky if you don't know the right people haha.
Lol! Totally understand the $$ part. Being your west coast there are many CA breeders that ship. Save the $ and wait a couple months for the weather to break and use 2-3 day shipping, about $15 in most cases. B. albopilosum are about the same cost. Also find out if there are any reptile shows within driving distance and bring a friend. [emoji6] I just got home from one myself and picked up 5 new slings and a few enclosure decorations for up coming rehousings. [emoji4]

Poec54

3 Year Member
60 is pretty cool for tarantulas (and can kill molting spiders, slings, and adults of some tropical species), but roseas are from a climate with cold winters so they can take better than most. Remember, it's very different when they're underground in a plugged up burrow, there's a lot of heat in the ground. It can be 40 outside and significantly warmer in their burrow.

Roseas are known for several things: 1) hardiness, 2) long fasts, and 3) unpredictable mood swings. They're popular with beginners because w/c adults are cheap, not because of their temperaments. People have had calm ones for months and even years, and then one day they turn confrontational and attack everything near them. This tends to come as a surprise to people.

Handling tarantulas is an old school stunt that is gradually going away as people are learning to respect their spiders and keep them more naturally. Anything in the wild that picks them up eats them; don't expect a warm welcome when you do it. Sometimes they get startled and run up a person's arm, even on their back. Are you aware that tarantulas sometimes bite the person they're walking on? Sometimes when they bite, they don't let go. If you are bitten, will you instinctively shake your hand and accidently fling the spider?

ierydeary

3 Year Member
I am confident that I wouldn't toss her.

As I said earlier, I am very careful. Let me copy and repeat that: Yes I know that many many people think this is unwise, even so; I know the risks to myself and to her but I am just so fascinated with holding her and touching her. I am -VERY- careful.

I did state that, there is no reason to act so condescending. I may be new to this hobby, but I'm also smart enough to know I need to respect her. I barely handle her or bother her. I make sure she experiences natural shifts between day and night. I keep her as warm as I can right now in the winter, without any dramatic temperature changes. I keep her water fresh and clean every day. I feed her only once or twice every week.

She's really super calm once I get her out of her terrarium. The other day I had been giving her fresh water and she came out on her own, went right onto my hand and then I hung out with her on my lap for a while and she just settled and hung out. Clearly she was okay. She even remains calm when I am walking between rooms from her terrarium to my couch, where I won't risk dropping her.

I am not an experienced owner, but I am smart enough to be aware of the risks and the responsibilities I have to undertake when bringing a living creature into my care.

Thanks for the advice and everything, but your level of experience doesn't justify talking down to a new "hobbyist".

HungryGhost

3 Year Member
I am confident that I wouldn't toss her.

As I said earlier, I am very careful. Let me copy and repeat that: Yes I know that many many people think this is unwise, even so; I know the risks to myself and to her but I am just so fascinated with holding her and touching her. I am -VERY- careful.

I did state that, there is no reason to act so condescending. I may be new to this hobby, but I'm also smart enough to know I need to respect her. I barely handle her or bother her. I make sure she experiences natural shifts between day and night. I keep her as warm as I can right now in the winter, without any dramatic temperature changes. I keep her water fresh and clean every day. I feed her only once or twice every week.

She's really super calm once I get her out of her terrarium. The other day I had been giving her fresh water and she came out on her own, went right onto my hand and then I hung out with her on my lap for a while and she just settled and hung out. Clearly she was okay. She even remains calm when I am walking between rooms from her terrarium to my couch, where I won't risk dropping her.

I am not an experienced owner, but I am smart enough to be aware of the risks and the responsibilities I have to undertake when bringing a living creature into my care.

Thanks for the advice and everything, but your level of experience doesn't justify talking down to a new "hobbyist".
There is no good outcome from handling a tarantula. At the very best you stress them out and who wants to do that? On the other end of the spectrum you get flicked with hairs and or bitten, or you injure or kill your tarantula.

Handling is on it's way out, it's old school and unsafe for your tarantula no matter how careful you may be. Please take some advice from experienced owners and don't take it personally.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
No one is trying to speak down to you here. They are trying to point out things commonly over looked by new hobbyists who are looking to handle their T's. Poec is only trying to speak in the best interest of your T.

I understand the urge to handle as a new hobbyist. But there truly is no benefit to the spider only risk. Then you have to think to yourself, is that little bit of personal joy you feel when you handle her worth potentially losing her forever? With how long rosea/porteri live you could be cutting short the life of a beautiful creature you could have enjoyed for 20+ years.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
I think everyone has given their point of view on the matter,and now it is the choice of the owner since that is where the outcome lies.

To the poster of this topic,I apologise if you feel there has been spoken down to you and I suggest to use advice given or don't depending on what you will decide.

ierydeary

3 Year Member
I appreciate the advice, I really do, and I will reconsider handling my T because of it.

I just take issue with...
Are you aware that tarantulas sometimes bite the person they're walking on? Sometimes when they bite, they don't let go. If you are bitten, will you instinctively shake your hand and accidently fling the spider?
Because that's pretty darn patronizing. The assumption that I don't know these things and the risks that come with it is not advice on handling a T, or whether I should or not. It's just a personal assumption about me, and it was uncalled for.

Everything else, including Poec54's post up until the last paragraph, has been very enlightening and it has absolutely caused me to think twice about handling. So, thank you all.

Poec54

3 Year Member
I appreciate the advice, I really do, and I will reconsider handling my T because of it.

I just take issue with...

Because that's pretty darn patronizing. The assumption that I don't know these things and the risks that come with it is not advice on handling a T, or whether I should or not. It's just a personal assumption about me, and it was uncalled for.

You're new, we don't know you. Most beginners don't think about this kind of stuff until it happens to them. You were made aware, nothing to take issue with. Very few people realize that tarantulas sometimes bite the person they're walking on. I thought this might be handy for you. How are we to know what you know and what you don't, and what will set you off if we mention it? I've had tarantulas for over 40 years; I'm here to share my experience and help people. I've helped many beginners over the decades in person and on a variety of sites. I have a direct style and don't want to feel like I'm walking on eggshells. A lot of people like my posts, so I'm doing something right.

ierydeary

3 Year Member
Please note that there was only one specific section of your post that I took issue with, because it was absolutely patronizing and now flashing your experience as justification for your behavior is just icing on the cake.

Your genuine advice has been received, as well as from everyone else, but you're just flat-out being condescending otherwise. It's not "direct", it's just rude. You can be blunt AND tactful. I'm asking for help from knowledgeable people, not know-it-alls.

I've gotten what I can out of this thread, I think, so before it devolves any further, I'd appreciate it if a mod were to lock it, or even delete it. I'll be ignoring any further posts and if I have any more questions, I'll make a new post relevant to the subject I'm needing help with. If anyone has additional tips, PM me and I'd be happy to read them.

spidey noob

3 Year Member
icedeary
i think u have your knickers in a twist over nothing !!!
its easy to reed a reply & get offended to what the person has put, but that does not mean the person intended for u to take it in the way u did !!!
just remember these guys/gals are takeing time out of there own lives to help new T keepers like me & u, there here to help not hinder u :D:D:D