• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

N chromatus death curl

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've got a hundred, or close to it. Over the last few years I've bought at least 600 lats, and 300 dubias...my colonies have been decimated. Ny lats are almost gone, very few surviving breeders, and all my dubias except three are females...spiders, most especially slings, will decimate roach colonies. Crickets, even home grown, are not a viable option for me anymore, even if I didn't hate the filthy bastards. Crickets are dirty...dirtier then roaches by far. The short lifespan makes them so. Its why they stink, and why they attracts horrible parasites, like nematodes . Lateralis, and dubia, are not trouble, or time consuming . No matter what size your colony. You've been at it long enough to make the transition away from crickets. Try it, then come back and argue with me :)
I had to break down and buy crickets for the tiny new Ts i got. The pinhead lats i had molted and the tiny guys wouldn't eat them, even cut up into smaller sections. They wanted to hunt! :D so the pinhead crickets lasted me until i could order more pinhead lats. And now that i have a breeding colony of dubia going i'l give it a few months to build and start feeding those. All of my T's now will eat them, unless they get away and burrow under, only a couple i have will dig them up. Also got some meal worms i'd be happy to ship to anyone needing them. the small size - 1/4 - 1/2". I cut the feet and heads off and feed them to my tiny T's, they go nuts for them ;) I goofed on my last order and saw a sale for 50 count tubs for $2.50 in retail packing. Didn't read the fine print it was 1 dozen tubs for $2.50, so i have 2 dozen tubs now of 50 mealworms each lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My lot get crickets. I buy online every 2 weeks, 1 box each of the 4 different sizes I use. The cost is £9.39 ($11.75) including delivery. I throw a bit of salad in every few days and I've never had a problem, no hassles of breeding them and never had a problem with smells. The supplier I use sells 7 different sizes so I can always keep them happy.
Sizes available:-
Micro 1-3mm
Small 4-5mm
Med/small 6-8mm
Med 8-12mm
Standard 12-18mm
Large 15-20mm
Ex. Large 20-30mm

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It seems there's universal hatred for crickets.. I tried to get a colony going and had to keep cleaning every 2-3 days, soon became tiresome... They stink! I've moved to Morio worms for my larger guys and pinhead cricks for my slings which get bug grub and gel, once they start to reek they go in the bin lol... My patience for maintaining crickets is gone... I will however buy them amongst other feeders to give my Ts a varied diet but I HATE them!!
i use worms for the variety. Normally they eat lateralis and dubia roaches.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I've got a hundred, or close to it. Over the last few years I've bought at least 600 lats, and 300 dubias...my colonies have been decimated. Ny lats are almost gone, very few surviving breeders, and all my dubias except three are females...spiders, most especially slings, will decimate roach colonies. Crickets, even home grown, are not a viable option for me anymore, even if I didn't hate the filthy bastards. Crickets are dirty...dirtier then roaches by far. The short lifespan makes them so. Its why they stink, and why they attracts horrible parasites, like nematodes . Lateralis, and dubia, are not trouble, or time consuming . No matter what size your colony. You've been at it long enough to make the transition away from crickets. Try it, then come back and argue with me :)
Lol. I'm not arguing. I do need to start another Lat colony. I had a small one but fed them all away. They are more nutritious, cleaner live longer....I just need to get off my a$$ and do it.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I Also got some meal worms i'd be happy to ship to anyone needing them. the small size - 1/4 - 1/2". I cut the feet and heads off and feed them to my tiny T's, they go nuts for them ;) I goofed on my last order and saw a sale for 50 count tubs for $2.50 in retail packing. Didn't read the fine print it was 1 dozen tubs for $2.50, so i have 2 dozen tubs now of 50 mealworms each lol
Got PayPal hunny? Need some and was going to pick them up this week. 2-3 maybe dependant on cost.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've seen red runners for sale before online but I think they're thin on the ground in the UK... They seem ideal!
I was a bit worried when I started a colony, as they are an invasive species that have reached from California to Florida here in the states, and all southern states in between. They can't climb though, and are very easy to keep. Ive had a few escapes but no infestations , after using them for a few years now. I've seen them outside of the hospital I work at, a few here and there, at night. No infestation there either. I think you'd have to dump a whole colony out in your house to create a problem. As usual, their reputation is a bit exaggerated :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh come on now, this is a more open forum than..others..I like to think people can talk about what they want. After all, most of us come from semi free countries, I believe. And while I make it a point to ignore forum rules at every opportunity , I don't think there's one about politics here. I'd have to look though.
Naaa.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What's funny is they're all crying about the immigration laws Trump wants to put into effect, Canada already has those, so good luck to all those idiots moving to Canada ;)

Redacted

3 Year Member
Oh come on now, this is a more open forum than..others..I like to think people can talk about what they want. After all, most of us come from semi free countries, I believe. And while I make it a point to ignore forum rules at every opportunity , I don't think there's one about politics here. I'd have to look though.
Naaa.
Maybe I jumped the gun? Not having clicked the youtube video Shampain sent, I saw the screen cover as what looked like Mrs. Clinton. Made the wrong connection that the video was political. My personal preference is to keep politics in political venues.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You're probably right, best to keep politics and religion out of things, but he was talking about social justice warriors. There's a certain sickness spreading through society and some guys like me, and shampain too apparently, can't help but be disgusted by it. Liberals have pissed many people off..but there I go again :) What I'm saying is, expect to see people, most especially white males, lashing out a bit. It will get worse.. But yeah we've gone way off topic, haha. We do tend to do that.