• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Pink Toed T

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
I'm going to call it a she until I find otherwise! She seems to be more lively then when i first got her, shes walking around more, never when I'm looking though. Can't even tell if shes had anything to drink out of her bowl however shes up top on the glass not really curled into a ball but has all her legs together almost like shes cold. I put a warming blanket underneath to make sure that the temperature for her is just perfect. I don't have a humidistat yet but her coconut husk floor stuff "substrate? I think you guys call it, is pretty moist. Is this good behavior or should I try spraying her cage a bit more? All the pictures I have taken don't really turn out because of the lighting.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
My room is generally at 17ish degrees. Which is not suitable for her. So I gave her a little heating pad. I was generally more concerned with her all balled up on the wall of the tank.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My room is generally at 17ish degrees. Which is not suitable for her. So I gave her a little heating pad. I was generally more concerned with her all balled up on the wall of the tank.

If she's off the ground she's ok. 17 is a bit cold , if your gonna add additional heat don't do it from the bottom, get some heat on the side of the enclosure.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She will probably spend next to no time on the ground at all. I personally would not attach a heating pad directly to the tank side either; she will be attracted to the heat and end up sitting right on that side whether it's too hot for her or not. My room gets cold as well (drafty windows that the Landlords still haven't come to fix), and what I've done is clear off an area on my book shelf so that the tank sits out of the way of the draft, and I also taped some pieces of styrofoam to the back and one side (closest to the window) of the enclosure to insulate a little bit. I've also read that some people have put those red heat lamps close to the enclosure just to raise the ambient temp near the tank. I've managed to keep the heat up a bit that way, and she seems fine. Do you have a way to increase the heat in the room as a whole (small space heater or something), or another room she can be in that stays warmer?

Karina has also sat with her legs all crunched up, but I noticed it after my cat decided to check out the shelf she sits on...so I think it was more of a 'I need to hide' (stress) position than anything else. She went back to her normal 'spread-out' posture a couple hours later.

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
She will probably spend next to no time on the ground at all. I personally would not attach a heating pad directly to the tank side either; she will be attracted to the heat and end up sitting right on that side whether it's too hot for her or not. My room gets cold as well (drafty windows that the Landlords still haven't come to fix), and what I've done is clear off an area on my book shelf so that the tank sits out of the way of the draft, and I also taped some pieces of styrofoam to the back and one side (closest to the window) of the enclosure to insulate a little bit. I've also read that some people have put those red heat lamps close to the enclosure just to raise the ambient temp near the tank. I've managed to keep the heat up a bit that way, and she seems fine. Do you have a way to increase the heat in the room as a whole (small space heater or something), or another room she can be in that stays warmer?

Karina has also sat with her legs all crunched up, but I noticed it after my cat decided to check out the shelf she sits on...so I think it was more of a 'I need to hide' (stress) position than anything else. She went back to her normal 'spread-out' posture a couple hours later.

She seems to do it almost all day long, then moves around at night. Maybe she's sleeping... I dunno, just seems weird to sit at the top of the enclosure and curl up lol. The heating pad really doesn't get hot. It pretty much just adds a little extra heat. I can't even tell that it's a heating pad lol.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have little hollowed out logs for my avics to hide in, they really love them as they are high up and nice and dark.

spider62

3 Year Member
My Pink Toe scrunches up a bit when i add water to her bowl and coco-fiber substrate. I think she just doesn't like getting wet!

Latest posts