• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My P.ornata

Gini

3 Year Member
Abhaya 4.jpg
This is Abhya. I've had it for 2 weeks now. These are the only pics I could get for now. I love the belly
Abhaya 3.jpg

The pic is in the vial I got it in sitting on its side. It's not in a dry container as the pic appears

Poec54

3 Year Member
Looks like a light dot above the vent, which would mean male. Not sure. Would need a better pic to verify.

Ornata are the easiest Poec to sex dorsally as juveniles. Males fade and get more brown on them. They folium stays black and the carapace becomes mostly a uniform color. Females retain darker colors with high contrast, have two black bands on the carapace, and their folium gradually lightens. Both sexes have vivid ventral colors. By 3-4" you can sex them this way.

BTW, ornata has the worst reputation among Poecs in group cages (no Poecilotheria are 'communal'). Ornata can start cannibalizing at 2nd instar.

Gini

3 Year Member
Thanks for the info. It's in pre molt now and hiding a lot. I have no plans to ever breed so I won't have to worry about having more than one in each tank. I'll get more pics once the molt is complete

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Awesome photos. Can't wait to see the post-molt photos!

Poec54

3 Year Member
Thanks for the info. It's in pre molt now and hiding a lot. I have no plans to ever breed so I won't have to worry about having more than one in each tank. I'll get more pics once the molt is complete

After this shed, you should be able to see which way the dorsal coloring is going. Posts some pics.

Poec54

3 Year Member
The black folium fades on females, starting at some point as juveniles. You have to be careful if you sex using that, as it can be as black as the male's, and then gradually start to fade in a shed or two. As subadults the folium will be light on females, except with high elevation subfusca.