• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My P.metalica spiderling died

CourtneyG

3 Year Member
Not sure why the little one died. I alwayse made sure the humidity was up. They were fed every Monday and Friday and their enclosure was kept warm, around the mid 70s to lower 80s. Here are some pics.
uploadfromtaptalk1425924343302.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1425924386193.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1425924406763.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1425924429664.jpg

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So sorry for your loss.
Can you enlarge the area around the fangs/mouth? The picture is a bit blurry, but it looks like there is white stuff around its mouth, doesn't it? Could that be nematodes?

Poec54

3 Year Member
The abdomen doesn't show wrinkles or signs of dehydration. The cage is too congested, they need room to move around. Looks too moist. they should have slightly moist (not soggy) substrate and a water bowl. The cork would have been fine without the moss. I think it was too stuffy in there for it. They live in trees, where's there's air movement and don't like stuffy, moist cages. It's important that they have cross ventilation (airholes on the sides) to keep the air fresh inside. With everything jammed in there, there wasn't much airflow.

CourtneyG

3 Year Member
So sorry for your loss.
Can you enlarge the area around the fangs/mouth? The picture is a bit blurry, but it looks like there is white stuff around its mouth, doesn't it? Could that be nematodes?
There was these little white things by the mouth. When I have the chance tomorrow I will use my macro lense to get a better shot. Not sure what they are though.

CourtneyG

3 Year Member
The abdomen doesn't show wrinkles or signs of dehydration. The cage is too congested, they need room to move around. Looks too moist. they should have slightly moist (not soggy) substrate and a water bowl. The cork would have been fine without the moss. I think it was too stuffy in there for it. They live in trees, where's there's air movement and don't like stuffy, moist cages. It's important that they have cross ventilation (airholes on the sides) to keep the air fresh inside. With everything jammed in there, there wasn't much airflow.
I suspect the substrate was a bit too wet and there was not enough air flow. I put the moss in to help keep humidity up, but I do agree that it was congested for the little ones size. I was going to move them to a taller deli cup, but they passed before the plan could happen.

Last edited:

CourtneyG

3 Year Member
I think they were mites. I took pics now and they had moved away from the mouth to the rest of the body. I normally clean the substrate out every 3 weeks or so and left over food the next day.
uploadfromtaptalk1425965535836.jpg

CourtneyG

3 Year Member
I think the issue that I have run into that most likely caused the littles one death was, too congested and small of a enclosure for their size, I was going to be moving her soon to a taller one. The substrate stayed too wet since there were no holes near the bottom and no air flow at the base of the enclosure. I gave the little one her food on Friday and left town for 2 days and came back Sunday night, they were still alive at the time, I think, she was on top of her wood by her food, but had not eaten. I figured they were full from last feeding or close to moulting. This Monday afternoon when I went to take the old food out and put new food in was when I found them dead, they were where I saw them last on Sunday night, so I do not know when exactly they died. I would like to know what set ups you have for P. metallica spiderlings, so when I get my next one, I will not make the same mistake.

Poec54

3 Year Member
I would like to know what set ups you have for P. metallica spiderlings, so when I get my next one, I will not make the same mistake.

My set up for most arboreals is a 32 oz deli cup, with a ring or two of small holes around the upper sides, and none in the lid. That allows cross ventilation and fresh air exchange, & also keeps a humid microclimate with a solid lid. Inside is an inch of slightly moist substrate with a piece of cork and/or piece of plastic plant; in either case with a little long fiber sphagnum moss underneath for nesting. Last item is a small water bowl (shallow plastic lid from a 16 oz water bottle; discard and replace when fouled). The cage should be mostly open and roomy inside. Poecs will usually be on the sides of the container, facing downwards (which makes them easy to vent sex). Almost all of my Poecs, Lampropelma, Cyriopagopus, Stromatopelma, Heteroscodra, Psalmopoeus, and Encyocratella have their retreats on or under the substrate.

What I do different for Avic slings is have 2 or 3 rings of holes (more ventilation), drier substrate, and I use 16 oz cups, making it easier for them to reach their food and water (they're more sedentary than the other arboreals). My Avics live in silk retreats near the tops of their cages.

Latest posts