• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My H pulchripes Hybris taking a drink

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He was drinking for several minutes prior but is still a little bit camera shy. That has improved greatly since his last molt. I'll probably have to rehouse him soon. The most important thing about the new enclosure is that the old one fits inside. ;) :)

This goes to show you that even with a dry spider, you need to use a water dish. I check mine twice daily.

The little guy (strongly suspect male) just got a roach yesterday & is now hanging out in plain sight almost 50% of the time. Hopefully as he grows, he'll become a wonderful display spider.

Hybris hanging out 1.jpg

You just gotta get one of these. As a sling, they make a great 2nd terrestrial. Just have good containment worked out when unpacking and rehousing prior to it's arrival.

It's a skittish high strung spider that will run for cover when you open the enclosure. A good hiding place to run is a must.

They grow quite fast when kept at 80-82 degrees and prefer to eat twice or 3 times a week depending on the size of the feeder used, another words either 2 Dubai roaches or 3 crickets per week.

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No, Hybris is the Goddess of insolence and the wife of the God of war Polemos. Sadly enough, a she turned out to be a he. I haven't come up with another name for him and would have to go back and edit all the photos.

So far as I know, there's no cases of H pulchripes being used as a hybrid in the hobby. Other Harpactira species exist in the hobby, but all of them look very different from one another.

Part of the reason behind the name is because some others not on this forum openly challenged my ability to keep any old world tarantula, rehousing them etc. I was dared to get an OBT so I did one better.

Of course, I was going to get one of these anyway!! No matter which sex you get, it's one awesome looking spider. You can't lose with one of these.

Last edited:

sdsnybny

3 Year Member
No, Hybris is the Goddess of insolence and the wife of the God of war Polemos. Sadly enough, a she turned out to be a he. I haven't come up with another name for him and would have to go back and edit all the photos.

So far as I know, there's no cases of H pulchripes being used as a hybrid in the hobby. Other Harpactira species exist in the hobby, but all of them look very different from one another.

Part of the reason behind the name is because some others not on this forum openly challenged my ability to keep any old world tarantula, rehousing them etc. I was dared to get an OBT so I did one better.

Of course, I was going to get one of these anyway!! No matter which sex you get, it's one awesome looking spider. You can't lose with one of these.

I caught that but the Thread Titles says Hybrid not Hybris.............

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

If you go to Tread Tools, then Edit Thread you can correct the title.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I fixed it after finally getting to thread tools. My spell checker is to blame. It'll change things even after you tell it not to.

I don't endorse creating hybrids on purpose. Besides, slings are so highly sought after that for the time being economics will prevent that.

Others in the Harpactira genus are great spiders but not so lucrative in terms of price. I was lucky to just get an unsexed sling for under $100.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I've really been enjoying reading about all these new species that are unfamiliar to me. I've been doing an internet search for each species that I don't recognize and some of these tarantulas are strikingly gorgeous. I think I need to start putting together a wish list. Thanks for posting this, and thanks for the tips about water too. I've been too careless about water in the past.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've really been enjoying reading about all these new species that are unfamiliar to me. I've been doing an internet search for each species that I don't recognize and some of these tarantulas are strikingly gorgeous. I think I need to start putting together a wish list. Thanks for posting this, and thanks for the tips about water too. I've been too careless about water in the past.

I was looking in the for sale sign in our forum right here.

Pinschers and pokies has an interesting Lasiodora species, brevibulba to be exact for a reasonable price. Heck, that's a new one for me. I'm a big fan of any Lasiodora species and if I had the space would get them all!!

Fear not tarantulas has H pulchripes slings for $75. They are a bit small between .75"-1" but these guys grow quickly and are perfectly capable of taking small sized crickets from the friendly neighborhood pet store as long as you put them in the fridge and remove the rear legs and other 2 legs on one side to disable the cricket. Toss into enclosure and K-bam!! Mini mealworms - not the regular small ones - also work but may be a little bit hard to find at brick and mortar stores. Pinhead roaches also work as well.

I'd just go ahead and put them into a 4" juvenile terrestrial style enclosure. It won't be long before they grow into it...& out of it!!