• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Grammostola porteri will not eat. Help?

Tom

3 Year Member
Hi,

I've had my Grammostola porteri for around 5-6 weeks now, she hasn't eaten anything at all and when I offer her food she acts all skittish and runs away? She molted around a week ago now maybe just under so don't know if this makes a big difference but I'm a bit worried to why she's not eating and if she's ok or not?

Any help would be much appreciated! (I will post photo's of her when I get home from work)

Thanks
Tom.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Tom, porteri and rosea have a reputation for fasting but it sounds as though yours has been in premoult. Now that she's moulted you need to wait until her fangs have turned black again, hardened up, before trying her on food, usually around a week. Just make sure she has fresh water available and I'm sure she'll be fine.

Tom

3 Year Member
Hi Tom, porteri and rosea have a reputation for fasting but it sounds as though yours has been in premoult. Now that she's moulted you need to wait until her fangs have turned black again, hardened up, before trying her on food, usually around a week. Just make sure she has fresh water available and I'm sure she'll be fine.

Thank you here are a few pics of her taken few days after molting. She also was half up the glass the other day and her fangs seem to be black from what I could see, she's also very skittish? Has been since I bought her, but does her abdomen look okay? I don't want it to be shrivelled up, in my opinion I think it's small but I'm quite new to all the t stuff. Thanks for you help

Tom

Attachments

• IMG_4043.PNG
    IMG_4043.PNG
    2.1 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4048.JPG
    IMG_4048.JPG
    492.8 KB · Views: 18

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Their abdomens always look smaller after a moult and hers doesn't look shrivelled. As I said as long as she has water, just offer food about once a week and I'm sure she'll eat when she's ready.

Tom

3 Year Member
Their abdomens always look smaller after a moult and hers doesn't look shrivelled. As I said as long as she has water, just offer food about once a week and I'm sure she'll eat when she's ready.

Thank you for your help. One more thing, what's the best way to feed crickets so that I know my T is getting what she needs? I usually put a few crickets in a separate container and wet a bit of sponge and throw half an apple in there with them. Is that ok or so I need to feed them something else?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As you're in the UK I'm guessing you buy your crickets by the tub full in which case they have food in the substrate that comes with them. If you want to feed extra baby leaf salad is quite good and if you rinse it first then they'll get the water too.

Tom

3 Year Member
As you're in the UK I'm guessing you buy your crickets by the tub full in which case they have food in the substrate that comes with them. If you want to feed extra baby leaf salad is quite good and if you rinse it first then they'll get the water too.

Okay lovely thank you ever so much

Tom

3 Year Member

When feeding my T must I do it at night time or can you still feed them during the day? God I need to learn so much :(

Latest posts