• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first T.

Crecious

3 Year Member
Late last week, I got a little boy that was traipsing around my house.
He was a Costa Rican Tiger Rump. (C. Fasicatum)

I kept him in a rather large tupperware container, with some dirt, branches and a couple leaves for hiding. I was going to make him more comfortable once he settled in, but I learned from my friend, and a couple of you. He was a mature male.
I was saddened to learn he wouldn't live very much longer.
I didn't used to think of tarantulas as pets, and so now that I've tried it, and been bitten by the 'bug' I am very sad to lose my first guy.

I see him now, curling up. Not moving... Almost gone.
He was named Sheldon, and he was named after a spider my mom used to do with her hands. I had two, Sheldon and Stewart. Sappy I know, but still.

Sheldon for all I've had him 4 days, has been an amazing little guy. And I am very upset to see him pass.

So, I hope to gain more experience, knowledge and maybe own another. Perhaps female... Tarantula again.
And I'm sorry for anyone here who's lost one. Even after 4 days, I grew to really like him, and am greatly saddened to see his passing.

Give a little shake of the abdomen for the little guy. And let's hope he had a good life.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ahh, so sorry, its funny how quickly we can grow to really like them, I hope you find a wonderful Tarantula that lives a long happy life in your care :D

Crecious

3 Year Member
Ahh, so sorry, its funny how quickly we can grow to really like them, I hope you find a wonderful Tarantula that lives a long happy life in your care :D
Thank you. I'll keep my eyes out for that beautiful female that I saw the other night.
Big baby too.

Sheldon will be missed however.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My first mm that passed was a T stirmi that used to stridulate at me when I opened his enclosure. I miss him. Sorry for your loss, I'm sure he got laid a few times before you found him. Pedipalp blocker. Lol, just kidding. You know what will cheer you up? That big female you saw. Best catch her :)

Crecious

3 Year Member
You will not believe this!

My friend and I decided that since he was still semi alive, we'd give him some water, I had a syringe and dropped water right by his mouth parts. And I put a damp cloth down.

This morning he's not curled up, or anything! He's actually standing on all legs and holding himself up

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome news, bring him outside somewhere safe and let him do what he was intended to do, his whole purpose in life is to reach adulthood and breed. Find yourself a nice long lived female ;)