• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My brand new Tarantula keeps climbing up to the top of the cage! Is there a problem?

asdzxcasdzxc

3 Year Member
I just got a brand new 1 inch Grammostola Pulchripes Tarantula. However, it keeps climbing to the top of the cage even when I put it back onto the ground. Now it is just staying at the top of the cage not moving. Is there a problem with my tarantula?

I use coconut substrate so that shouldn't be the problem either.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They like a dry substrate if it's too moist that could be the cause, if so wait until it dries or replace it with dry substrate. Also when you rehouse a T it takes them a while to settle in, if that's the case just leave it to get used to its new home. Don't offer food until it settles in either.

+1 for this. The coco fiber could be too moist, or it could just be exploring. Do you have pics of the T in the enclosure?

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I've had babies climb like crazy. From what I've seen, it's pretty normal behavior. Regarding moist sub...it shouldn't be so wet that you can squeeze water out of it, but you do want it damp until the sling is about 2 in.

2G33K4U

3 Year Member
If it is a sling, try taking a pencil and making a hole in substrate in a corner as a starter hole. Slings will want to borrow until they are older. As mentioned above these T's love dry. My rose is in bone dry enclosure with just a dish and is happy as can be. When i first setup her tank with fresh made eco earth she would not touch the ground until it dried up.

Last edited:

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
All the above statements about wet substrate is true, especially with Grammostola. I've seen with each rehouse I've done, my Grammostolas tend to climb etc I just add a hide and as stated above help with a new burrow hole. These are all options,and again like above no wet substrate just a water dish will be good enough.

Latest posts