• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My adult Rosea passed away.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I had bought her as an adult about 16 months ago and kept her out front where I would pass her a few times a day. This evening I went to put water in her dish which I do about every 4-7 days and she was limp. I used a paint brush to touch her and no movement although her body was soft.

I have since moved her partly over the water dish but I am not hopeful. I am going to work so can’t check on her for about 12 hours.

The person I bought her from estimated she was 5-6 years old. She hadn’t eaten for me in about a year, although I had tried crickets and superworms about every month. Her abdomen looks pretty good but I wonder if there was more I could have done.

IMG_0382.jpeg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm so sorry for your loss.
Is it possible that she was in fact a he?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I guess what is bothering me is that I did keep her a little differently than the others. And I am wondering whether that was the cause. My other Ts are in their enclosures within enclosures while I kept this one in a more open area. She may have been exposed to more breezes/ air movement when it got too hot or cold.

She was also in a much larger enclosure 10in x10 x 16 she was about 6”. She used to wander around from time to time so it was nice to see her in different places.

Stretch

I guess what is bothering me is that I did keep her a little differently than the others. And I am wondering whether that was the cause. My other Ts are in their enclosures within enclosures while I kept this one in a more open area. She may have been exposed to more breezes/ air movement when it got too hot or cold.

She was also in a much larger enclosure 10in x10 x 16 she was about 6”. She used to wander around from time to time so it was nice to see her in different places.
First, my condolences. A loss always hurts. Secondly, how is the area in which you keep your t's? Is it stable and controllable in temp and humidity?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Temperatures are usually 72 F to 82 F but can get a bit higher depending on time of day during the summer. I have a space heater about 5 feet from Ts that only comes on when temps dip below 68 F or so which does not happen much in summer. I don’t usually track humidity, but where I live it can get up to 70 percent some days during summer. When temps are high I have AC about 10 feet from Ts.

She did not look dehydrated to me and I could not find any injuries.

The only difference, as mentioned, is that she did not have an additional barrier around her, but O don’t know if that played any part.

Stretch

Temperatures are usually 72 F to 82 F but can get a bit higher depending on time of day during the summer. I have a space heater about 5 feet from Ts that only comes on when temps dip below 68 F or so which does not happen much in summer. I don’t usually track humidity, but where I live it can get up to 70 percent some days during summer. When temps are high I have AC about 10 feet from Ts.

She did not look dehydrated to me and I could not find any injuries.

The only difference, as mentioned, is that she did not have an additional barrier around her, but O don’t know if that played any part.
Ah, either way it's unfortunate

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah, I will always wonder whether I could have done something differently. One smart thing I did, I think, was to taxidermy her. My first time ( my first T death in the three years I have been keeping them).

And thanks all

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I do have these three roseas ( one is considered by some a porteri) that I have raised since they were about 1.5 inches. They are about 3 + inches now.

IMG_0146.jpegIMG_0140.jpegIMG_0144.jpeg

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry for your loss, we lost an adult female rosea a few months ago too. It's not a pleasant experience.