• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moulted g pulchripes

Wayne harper

3 Year Member
I was woken this morning at 5.30 am by my 2 lads running into my bedroom shouting that zombie our g pulchripes was moulting. After a couple of minutes I panicked I had left a cricket in his enclosure he never eats when we watch him he normally eats in the middle of the night.
I got up and slowly opened his enclosure to look for said cricket only to find it not there and he was on his back mid moult. So I left him to it.
I got back from working had a look and the cricket was there dead I can only guess when he flipped over he landed on top of said cricket and killed it by squashing it.
Zombie looks fine I'm just waiting for him to stretch his legs out to see if he needs a bigger enclosure.
I love the little yellow stripes on his knee

Attachments

• 20160301_170303.jpg
    20160301_170303.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 27

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ive seen my Lp and one of my avics kill prey and drop it right before a molt. I think they do it more out of annoyance, but it certainly could be instinct. Science has very little knowledge about how invertebrate brains work, and lots of theories.
My avic likes to kill her prey and not eat it and hang it up in her enclosure when she isnt hungry. does it all the time. and most recently she has been taking to hanging the bolus like that when she is finished eating.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Ive seen my Lp and one of my avics kill prey and drop it right before a molt. I think they do it more out of annoyance, but it certainly could be instinct. Science has very little knowledge about how invertebrate brains work, and lots of theories.

Yeah, that is what I figured happened. If only all Ts could do that before they molt, then you wouldn't have to worry about the crickets chomping down on them.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My itty bitty rosea did that with a pinhead when she started her premolt cycle this time. Tackled it, killed it, then walked away and left it. Now that i think about it i beleive she did that when we first got her too. after she kills that one roach if we try and feed her again she climbs the walls to get away from them, just like she does if we put a drop of water accidentally on her substrate