• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Most expensive T?

Thistles

3 Year Member
Prices aren't static. When Harpactira pulchripes first made it to the US they were selling for thousands of dollars. I know someone who paid $5,000+ for a female. I got mine for like $200. As more are produced, the prices drop. The same thing happened with Poecilotheria metallica and Monocentropus balfouri. They were insanely expensive initially, costing hundreds of dollars, but now if you look really hard you can get slings for $50-70. Some that will always have higher prices (though not THAT high) are spiders that are difficult to breed or slow growing but also very popular. Grammostola pulchra is a great example. My female is the tarantula I've had longest and she's still smaller than I'd like her to be before breeding. They have a relatively small sac (when compared to, say, LPs) and grow so slowly that the price is high because the demand is higher than supply. Thrigmopoeus psychedelicus is a beautiful spider, but, in my opinion, not the most beautiful. It just happens to be very new to the hobby. As more are imported to the US and more breeders get involved their price will come down, too.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't pay much attention to the prices of tarantulas that I am not going to purchase, so I can only speak to those that I do. My full grown female G. pulchra was $250 many years ago and my 1" unsexed G. pulchra was $60. In comparison, my 3" B. verdezi female was $50. G. pulchra is, by far, the most expensive tarantula that I have had.
Females are very expensive here - as they are everywhere.
Same here. I remember being shocked about the price of the T. Psychedelicus, and know H. Pulchripes slings used to go for quite a bit of money.
But my own most expensive purchase was my 2 cm P. metallica sling at £31 ($43), which unfortunately died. Currently it's my G. Actaeon at £26 ($36), bought at about 2.5cm. As opposed to that my cheapest was my <1cm LP sling which cost me £6 ($8.50).
I couldn't care less though, they're "pets" not investments or status symbols.

micheldied

3 Year Member
We're lucky T prices drop within a couple of years. H. pulchripes were going for over 1000CAD a few years ago, and they're below 300CAD now.

Centipede hobbyists don't have it so well. Prices haven't dropped at all, and many have actually gone up.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Apparently, even pretty small stuff can set the momma off and it will eat her offspring. :(

micheldied

3 Year Member
That's what I thought :D. Imagine buying one and it dies on you first moult. Don't forget they're cheaper over there than either UK or US.

Actually, he's the only one that has them. Benjamin Weber is the only one breeding them right now.

timc

3 Year Member
Oh my god that hitler video made my day. That was hilarious. Whoever came up with that is a genius.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If I had mega funding I'd get a few and send them out to reputable breeders. But otherwise...hell we can be doing everything right and still lose a little sling so no thanks.

Thistles

3 Year Member
From my understanding, my P.Bromelicola female could potentially be worth around $300. Jacobi is the only other person I've seen have them.
I saw 1/2" slings for sale recently. The asking price is $125. I'd say $300 is cheap for a female given the current market, lol. Prices rise and fall.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From my understanding, my P.Bromelicola female could potentially be worth around $300. Jacobi is the only other person I've seen have them.
What is she called? Pepsi I hope as play on the "cola" at the end.....lol

Nicolas C

3 Year Member

Latest posts