• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Moss in you T enclosure.

shelbi8119

So what is everyone's opinion on putting moss in their T enclosures? I've seen varying opinions. Is it beneficial at all or is it going to be more of a headache? Is it going to harm the T or sling, or make them stressed? Is it better for terrestrial vs arboreal? I just want to know if I were to add it whether it's for beneficial reasons or just aesthetics that it isn't harmful to any of my Ts or slings.

Nurse Ratchet

Live moss or dried?
I ask bc live moss would require daily watering to remain continuously moist creating a high humidity environment requiring excellent ventilation to prevent a stagnant environment. Possible, but requires work and precautions.
I use dried moss in all of my enclosures as a soil amendment as well as decor.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use moss in all my tarantula set ups, terrestrial and arboreal. Slings and adult spiders will drink from it, so make sure its natural and with no dyes. I'll rinse mine out when I first buy it and then store it in a ventilated shoe box container.

shelbi8119

Live moss or dried?
I ask bc live moss would require daily watering to remain continuously moist creating a high humidity environment requiring excellent ventilation to prevent a stagnant environment. Possible, but requires work and precautions.
I use dried moss in all of my enclosures as a soil amendment as well as decor.
I've got dried moss. I read a lot about live moss creating mold. Wasn't sure if it was true or not, but figured dry would be the way to go if I did it.

shelbi8119

I use moss in all my tarantula set ups, terrestrial and arboreal. Slings and adult spiders will drink from it, so make sure its natural and with no dyes. I'll rinse mine out when I first buy it and then store it in a ventilated shoe box container.
I got dried moss. I wasn't sure about live moss cause I read it causes mold. Can I just spray the dry moss weekly for them?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I use dried moss in many of my enclosures, even in some of my Brachy enclosures, as it is a nice way of keep a corner of a dry enclosure moist & have found that it attracts springtails under it too. I know springtails are no real help in a dry enclosure, but it seems they like some moss to live under.

shelbi8119

I use dried moss in many of my enclosures, even in some of my Brachy enclosures, as it is a nice way of keep a corner of a dry enclosure moist & have found that it attracts springtails under it too. I know springtails are no real help in a dry enclosure, but it seems they like some moss to live under.
Awesome thank you

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Dave's Little Beasties (UK) uses moss - large strips of it for many of his Ts. He collects it outside. May be worth a look at. I would have concerns about bringing something unwanted with it, but I don't remember what he does about that.

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
I use live in my set ups with high moisture requiring Ts. All I can say is that it's not as easy as other plants to keep going and some is hardier than others. Definitely added work. But once you find out what works for you, it's a beautiful addition to your landscapes and is very helpful to assist in maintaining your humidity levels.

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
New Singapore enclosure. It has started growing in now. I just don't have an updated pic yet.

Attachments

• 20220302_141227.jpg
    20220302_141227.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 77

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
I think a lot of Dave's set ups are very eye appealing and functional. I'd like to see them a few months down the road.and if he is able to maintain the moss. I actually asked him about it and he said that with the right amount of watering, it did stay green for him. Moss is a tricky plant. I love what it adds to a set up though and will continue to try and learn it's magic

x_raphael_xx

Dave's Little Beasties (UK) uses moss - large strips of it for many of his Ts. He collects it outside. May be worth a look at. I would have concerns about bringing something unwanted with it, but I don't remember what he does about that.
I think he says that the things that live in it are generally beneficial and will cause no harm (isopods, springtails etc) as tbh tarantulas in the wild have to deal with wild bugs :)

Most of the things he puts in his enclosures he gathers himself from his local woods. He doesn't boil or microwave any of his wood/leaf mulch etc.

Although we have no wild T's in the UK and I'm not sure what bugs would be found living in US moss & bark.