• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molting question

Megs

3 Year Member
My son has an arizona blonde. Her abdomen went from light tan to black over night the other night. Does this mean she is getting ready to molt or should I be concerned?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
might be getting ready to molt. unless she is acting weird, souldnt be anything to worry about. just make sure she has water available and see what happens. i wouldnt be concerned.

Megs

3 Year Member
Ok thanks! I figured that's all it was but wanted to be sure. She's acting just fine so we'll just leave her alone.

Megs

3 Year Member
OK so, she finally molted!! YAY! Everything looks good! The only question I have is, will her color go back to her normal light tan (blonde) color? She is almost completely out of her molt but she is now completely black. Just curious :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Completely black? A chalcodes? I don't own any of the species, but I know mature males have a much darker color than the females..Does it have tibial hooks now? How large is it? It sounds like a mature male...

Megs

3 Year Member
No, it's still really young. It's only maybe a little over an inch long including the legs. No hooks.
The breeder we got it from said that when he checked her last molt he was almost 100% sure it was a female. She had a good molt yesterday but I'm not sure what to look for to be able to tell.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
While it's not exactly impossible to sex a sling that small, it is pretty difficult to do so with slings under 2 inches. That's why I'm a bit skeptical that this guy could be 100 percent certain that it's female.

When sexing a molt, you'd be looking for the presence or absence of spermatheca. However they're gonna look different depending on the species, so your best bet is to search the internet and see if you can find some images. You're gonna need a decent microscope or magnifying glass.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No, it's still really young. It's only maybe a little over an inch long including the legs. No hooks.
The breeder we got it from said that when he checked her last molt he was almost 100% sure it was a female. She had a good molt yesterday but I'm not sure what to look for to be able to tell.
Ok, just checking. Like I said I don't have any chalcodes, it just seems strange to hear its black..I know the mature males look like my native Texas aphonopelma, the anax and hentzi. Good to hear it molted cleanly. I'm going to look up some chalcodes slings, you have me curious now:)

Megs

3 Year Member
Male Arizona blondes do tend to be all black but the females are the blonde color. She WAS the blonde color before she molted so who knows! They are great spiders though. Very docile and even slower moving than our rose hair. They're just hard to find. We got ours from Bryan's creepy crawlers. Bryan is a T breeder here in the Kansas City area.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wouldn't say they're hard to find. I see them all the time on Ken the bug guy's site as well as Swifts inverts, Paul Becker's site to name a few ;)

Megs

3 Year Member
OK cool! I'll keep those in mind! The next one I want is a smithi but I heard they're hard to breed. I never see any at the expos.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
OK cool! I'll keep those in mind! The next one I want is a smithi but I heard they're hard to breed. I never see any at the expos.
From what I understand most Brachys aren't the easiest to breed. Smithi is easy to find, but like bohemei, they don't go for cheap unless you buy a sling, and they take forever to grow.

Megs

3 Year Member
Just went in and checked on her this morning. The hairs on her legs are slowly turning a blonde color! Crazy cool!