• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

MOLTING HELP!

Jackie&fangs

3 Year Member
Hey there everyone! I posted the same thread somewhere else cause I didn't know how to make a new thread but I found it..

So basicaly my spider is molting (right now) and I am very scared he/she will get stuck.. Not stuck from actually molting but stuck because it's in a very very tight spot.

This is the first time I've ever seen a molt so inhave no idea what to expect.. I know to leave fangs and let him do what he has to do.. But can someone please tell me that everything will be ok judging by this pic.. I'm VERY worried..

I know (by watching vids) that when moulting they push the exoskeleton (I think that's what it's called) to the side.. But I feel like there is no room for any of that!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30

Jackie&fangs

3 Year Member
I really hope so!

Is it meant to be this long? He's been like that (the pic) since about 3:00pm? It's been about 7 hours! And right before I went to bed I saw him moving franticly.. I thought it was a moltong thing.. I looked closer and realised It was a stupid cricket trying to get through! I removed the cricket immediately and squished it outside! I really hope the stupid cricket (that I didn't even know was there) didn't hurt my T :(

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Some Ts take longer that others to moult but the cricket may have delayed things a bit. Try not to stress him and I'm sure all will be well.

Ghost

3 Year Member
Hey people!

Well just an update.. He is still in the position.. The exact.. Is he ok? Please don't tell me he's gone???

Is this normal??

If he's in the exact same position and hasn't progressed any in the molting process and its been over 24 hours,then I'm afraid he's probably gone.

Last edited:

Ghost

3 Year Member
What do you think could of happened.. :( was it the interference of the cricket? The tight spot? Cause he looked like he is fully out now :(

How long has he looked like he has been fully out the molt and can you see any movement ?

Jackie&fangs

3 Year Member
I'm pretty sure he looked like he was fully out of his molt maybe wednesday night.. I saw plenty of frantic movement also Wednesday night when a stupid cricket was trying to get past fangs.

But Yeaterday Im sure his legs where in a different postion.. Like hes been moving around.. But haven't pshycally seen anything..

Ghost

3 Year Member
I'm pretty sure he looked like he was fully out of his molt maybe wednesday night.. I saw plenty of frantic movement also Wednesday night when a stupid cricket was trying to get past fangs.

But Yeaterday Im sure his legs where in a different postion.. Like hes been moving around.. But haven't pshycally seen anything..

Okay then I would carefully move his hide out of the way and get a closer look to see if there is any movement from him,just be carefull and use tongs to move the hide you don't want your fingers anywhere near...

Ghost

3 Year Member
Ok thanks for the advice! I'll do that ASAP!

But why wouldn't I want my fingers anywhere near? As in because I could hurt him.. Wouldn't the tongs be worse.. Also, What if I wear gloves?

You don't want your fingers anywhere near just to be on the safe side you wouldn't want to be getting tagged if he's still alive,If you use tongs and very carefully move the hide you shouldn't do any damage to him..

Jackie&fangs

3 Year Member
Guys everything went well. I had to remove the hide most the ground abit and slowly put him out..

He is moving around well and looks healthy to me.. Still very weak but he is certainly alive!

He was defiantly stuck between the glass and the Rock and couldn't roll over even if he tried.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    951.1 KB · Views: 21

Jackie&fangs

3 Year Member
So everyone was right. He had fully molted and came out on the Wednesday night but has been stuck this whole time.. He's just been chilling on his back till now... He looks a lot happier.. Well.. If he is a he or she.. I still don't know.. Hahah

Latest posts