• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molting and feeding of Venezuelan Suntigers

helenaoskars

I recently purchased and now own two Venezuelan Suntigers, after having had a Chilean Rose (not sure of the spelling) for quite a few years.. Considering I’ve never had spiderlings before: when can I feed them crickets again without killing the crickets first after molting? They seem to want to eat, as the ones I killed and left for them disappeared quickly last week..

Attachments

• IMG_9037.jpeg
    IMG_9037.jpeg
    431.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9038.jpeg
    IMG_9038.jpeg
    250.4 KB · Views: 13

helenaoskars

They look large enough to take small live crickets now.

On a related note, are you planning on rehousing them any time soon? They look a bit cramped.
They did eat live crickets a couple of weeks ago, but they have just molted. I’ve been told to be careful with feedings after molting, so as to avoid them getting hurt.

I do plan on rehousing them, I actually bought their new homes today. I wasn’t sure if it was too big a house for now, as it’s 30•30•45cm. I was told to leave them where they are now “until they are almost fully grown”. It seems strange to me as well, but they insisted there was enough room.. And I didn’t buy them from someone that does not know what they are talking about… Their size right now is 5-6 cm..

helenaoskars

They look large enough to take small live crickets now.

On a related note, are you planning on rehousing them any time soon? They look a bit cramped.
Do you think it is safe for them to move now? I can fix it tomorrow… (Needless to say: I registered here to learn more and have somewhere to ask these questions. Sorry for the questions if you find them annoying.)

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They did eat live crickets a couple of weeks ago, but they have just molted. I’ve been told to be careful with feedings after molting, so as to avoid them getting hurt.

I do plan on rehousing them, I actually bought their new homes today. I wasn’t sure if it was too big a house for now, as it’s 30•30•45cm. I was told to leave them where they are now “until they are almost fully grown”. It seems strange to me as well, but they insisted there was enough room.. And I didn’t buy them from someone that does not know what they are talking about… Their size right now is 5-6 cm..
Ah, I see. How long since they molted? After a week they should be hardened enough to feed and move. Since they are still slings, despite being arboreal P. irminia will burrow, so you’re giving them enough room to climb and burrow if they wish.

The questions are no problem at all. That’s why forums like this exist. As for myself, I’ve got nothing better to do right now so ask away.

helenaoskars

Ah, I see. How long since they molted? After a week they should be hardened enough to feed and move. Since they are still slings, despite being arboreal P. irminia will burrow, so you’re giving them enough room to climb and burrow if they wish.

The questions are no problem at all. That’s why forums like this exist. As for myself, I’ve got nothing better to do right now so ask away.
You might regret saying that. (Sorry)

They molted about two weeks ago. Usually stay underground, so I’ve only seen it for one of them. I suspect the other one did it under ground, considering it has grown substantially.. I’ll give them live ones next week.

How deep should I make the substrate when I set it up tomorrow?

I have a root and a fake plant for each of them to build height to climb on. Should I maybe get something more for them?

I’ve been told not to use a water bowl, instead keeping the substrate moist and maybe spray some water on the glass. Is that correct?

Do I understand you correctly that I should try to rehouse them tomorrow? (It is 02:27am here right now…)

How do I rehouse them? Take the lid of their current housing and leave them? I’ve hardly ever seen one of them, it practically lives under ground.. If it weren’t for the food being eaten, I’d question whether it was alive or not…

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You might regret saying that. (Sorry)

They molted about two weeks ago. Usually stay underground, so I’ve only seen it for one of them. I suspect the other one did it under ground, considering it has grown substantially.. I’ll give them live ones next week.

How deep should I make the substrate when I set it up tomorrow?

I have a root and a fake plant for each of them to build height to climb on. Should I maybe get something more for them?

I’ve been told not to use a water bowl, instead keeping the substrate moist and maybe spray some water on the glass. Is that correct?

Do I understand you correctly that I should try to rehouse them tomorrow? (It is 02:27am here right now…)

How do I rehouse them? Take the lid of their current housing and leave them? I’ve hardly ever seen one of them, it practically lives under ground.. If it weren’t for the food being eaten, I’d question whether it was alive or not…
Like I said before, that’s why we’re here and personally I’ve got plenty of time to be of assistance.

Picturing the enclosure size in my head, a little under half way up would suffice.

The plants and roots should be fine.

The water dish is both up to preference and size of enclosure. Sling enclosures usually don’t have enough room for a water dish. Once they get upgraded to a larger space, you can add a water dish if you want to. Moistening substrate and spraying water on the sides is fine. Once you decide to move to a water dish, you won’t have to spray the glass anymore.

You don’t have to rehouse immediately, the enclosures looked a bit cramped based on the pictures above.

When rehousing, you can do one of a few things.

Coax them out of their burrows, and hope they’ll go in to the new enclosures. I don’t do this method with arboreal new worlds and OWs in general. If the enclosures allow for it, just dig out enough dirt so they don’t burrow further down in the old enclosures and simply leave the old enclosures in the new enclosures, eventually they’ll walk out of the old enclosures by themselves.

helenaoskars

Today, I’ve set up my two new enclosures. I feel that they are way too big for them? It is 30*30*45, I’ve put in as much substrate as I can without compromising the doors, which is about 10cm deep. I’ve attached a picture of their “tiny sling-houses” inside their new inclosures.. What do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_9178.jpeg
    IMG_9178.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 9

Rasp

Today, I’ve set up my two new enclosures. I feel that they are way too big for them? It is 30*30*45, I’ve put in as much substrate as I can without compromising the doors, which is about 10cm deep. I’ve attached a picture of their “tiny sling-houses” inside their new inclosures.. What do you think?
I recently got a young Avi as well, I almost bought a V Suntiger like you did, but ended up with a pink toe. I noticed you have a mesh top in the terrarium. Mine does too, however it is recommended that you replace the mesh top with acrylic. I hear you can buy them on Etsy for your type of tank. People don’t make them for mine so I just ordered a new terrarium altogether. I will say I’m a little jealous, I think that spider variety is beautiful

helenaoskars

I recently got a young Avi as well, I almost bought a V Suntiger like you did, but ended up with a pink toe. I noticed you have a mesh top in the terrarium. Mine does too, however it is recommended that you replace the mesh top with acrylic. I hear you can buy them on Etsy for your type of tank. People don’t make them for mine so I just ordered a new terrarium altogether. I will say I’m a little jealous, I think that spider variety is beautiful
Out of curiosity: why should I change the mesh to acrylic? I’m happy to do whatever is necessary or better, but it’d be fun to know why.

Rasp

Out of curiosity: why should I change the mesh to acrylic? I’m happy to do whatever is necessary or better, but it’d be fun to know why.
Spiders that are tree climbers like ours will spend most of their time up top and will crawl along the mesh. Sometimes their tiny foot claws get stuck in the mesh and they get stuck. I’ve read about them losing legs or other damage because of it.

helenaoskars

Spiders that are tree climbers like ours will spend most of their time up top and will crawl along the mesh. Sometimes their tiny foot claws get stuck in the mesh and they get stuck. I’ve read about them losing legs or other damage because of it.
Okay, definitely buying a replacement lid. I’ll try and find one that fits on Etsy! :) I have the exo terra mini tall-terrarium.

Rasp

Okay, definitely buying a replacement lid. I’ll try and find one that fits on Etsy! :) I have the exo terra mini tall-terrarium.
Yeah I do believe it’s the Exo Terra’s that you can find custom acrylic tops for. Unfortunately, I could not locate any for my Zoo Med so I had to order a new terrarium

helenaoskars

Yeah I do believe it’s the Exo Terra’s that you can find custom acrylic tops for. Unfortunately, I could not locate any for my Zoo Med so I had to order a new terrarium
I see I have to choose between front only vents, back only vents or both. Do you know what’s recommended?

helenaoskars

I really do not know what I’m doing here, and I’m not a native English speaker either.. Which option should I go for?

Attachments

• IMG_9183.png
    IMG_9183.png
    805.4 KB · Views: 6

Rasp

I really do not know what I’m doing here, and I’m not a native English speaker either.. Which option should I go for?
I’m not sure I didn’t have the opportunity to buy one. It’s on the top though so I don’t think it would be a “side” vent or any vent

helenaoskars

I’m not sure I didn’t have the opportunity to buy one. It’s on the top though so I don’t think it would be a “side” vent or any vent
I contacted the seller directly, she updated the listing and made it easier. Thank you for your feedback, I would’ve never known. :)

Latest posts