• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molted-still on back

SpunkySpider

I think Jess S was correct in saying this is kind of a “damned if you do, damned if you don't” situation. Her being on her back didn’t alarm me as much as the fact that she seemed to be struggling to right herself- scooting around and waving legs. But it’s true that maybe she would have figured it out. We’ll see how she does.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think Jess S was correct in saying this is kind of a “damned if you do, damned if you don't” situation. Her being on her back didn’t alarm me as much as the fact that she seemed to be struggling to right herself- scooting around and waving legs. But it’s true that maybe she would have figured it out. We’ll see how she does.
She'll probably be fine.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If a well known member of another forum was here now he'd say something along the lines like "maybe she'll die, but then maybe she'll live"! :D

If a well known member of "that" forum (that we dare not mention) was here now.... the damn wolves would be circling in on this thread and you'd be condemned to hell.....

....js

Nicolelee74

I have an elderly Grammostola pulchra (19!). She molted yesterday while I was at work, and has been lying on her back ever since.

She’s moving her legs, but I’m worried something is wrong- she’s always turned over after a molt.

I appreciate any advice!
Hello Iam very worried she is dehydrated try and give her water with a straw or a dropper would be best I think she is so old and molting is very strenuous i would try that if she takes water Iam sure she will then I would turn her over to help her I feel she is very weak ! Please let me know how she is there are great videos showing how to water your dehydrated Tarantula best of luck Iam praying for her !

SpunkySpider

Hello Iam very worried she is dehydrated try and give her water with a straw or a dropper would be best I think she is so old and molting is very strenuous i would try that if she takes water Iam sure she will then I would turn her over to help her I feel she is very weak ! Please let me know how she is there are great videos showing how to water your dehydrated Tarantula best of luck Iam praying for her !

Thanks. I did give her some water, but after three days of her scooting around on her back, I gently flipped her over.
Since then, she’s been moving around a bit. I saw her drink a little water, but am not sure if she had more when I wasn’t watching (hopefully!).

SpunkySpider

An update for everyone: Spunky has been moving around okay, but seems to by lying with her legs spread out flat more that before? Rather than standing on them?

But I decided to see if she felt like eating. Put a single cricket in her tank this weekend, and when the cricket finally wandered her way, she had it in a second (pictured). So that felt like a good sign!

Thanks again.

Attachments

• 1E224D4F-DE09-4A76-AB9C-1F0DBE94F50C.jpeg
    1E224D4F-DE09-4A76-AB9C-1F0DBE94F50C.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Well, she is an old girl...she may be coming towards the end of her natural life span, which is why she couldn't flip in the first place.
However, what you have just described sounds exactly like the normal odd positions they do for a while after moulting, part of the stretching out and hardening up process.
So at this stage, to me at least, it's not possible to say that's a cause of concern. She may have a good couple of years left. Just continue to keep an eye on her and ensure she is able to get to her waterbowl.
Thanks for updating us, any worries don't hesitate to ask. Someone will have information that could help.

Nunua

3 Year Member
An update for everyone: Spunky has been moving around okay, but seems to by lying with her legs spread out flat more that before? Rather than standing on them?.

This is perfectly normal, so I wouldn't be worried at all. Stretching is part of a postmolt process and important for a tarantula so the new exoskeleton won't harden up with limited movement :) This process takes longer, up to a month or even more, on old and/or large individuals - The most important part to harden up is her fangs that need to be pitch black before feeding.

Also, I'd recommend getting something juicy and big to help her regain internal fluids - Hornworms and large superworms are nice, full of juicy goo, and they're soft to eat with new fangs. And like @ilovebrachys said, it's important to ensure that she can reach the water dish - That's the most important thing in her life.

Tschorm

Hy, I´m just a beginner and can be wrong (and its a little late now) but maybe provide some thinks in the encloser that provide some grip for a spider to easy grap onto and support the weight of the animal, like dug in branches, or maybe a rock (but be sure that it can not tip over) so that she has something to pull herself over with when she can not roll over normaly.
But its good to hear that she is doing fine and kicking =)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Without disturbing or actually touching the tarantula, place a very shallow water dish as close as possible to her, practically right under the fangs and palps.

Move very slowly.

If she takes a big drink, that's your answer. Either way, it certainly won't do any harm.

Some just take longer then others. One of my females somehow fell behind her waterdish after molting. I moved the dish and slightly moved her out of the way & she fully recovered.

99.9% of the time, they don't need help because they're just acting weird. Still, water never hurts.

Latest posts