• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Molt issue.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Anyone ever had a T molt and get stuck in their molt mat?

Buddha molted yesterday morning. But hadn't flipped back over when I went to bed after midnight, about 15 hours after she molted.

This morning I got up and checked on her, her legs were flailing she's trying to right herself but falls back, then waits a bit and does it again.

My son and I gently help her flip over and that's when we see the web and substrate stuck to her carapace between her L1 leg and pedipalp.

We gently moisten the remove as mush as we can. Her legs are free and her left pedipalp is now free. She's got a tiny bit stuck to her carapace still but I didn't want to mess with her anymore since it's only been 24 hours since she molted now.

Here's a pic just after cleaning the substrate off.
20170305_091815.jpg

You can see the little bit of substrate just above her left pedipalp. I'm thinking I can leave it, it doesn't look to be causing issues with her legs, pedipalp, or chelicerae.

Thoughts?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think you did right, and she'll clean herself off as she hardens up. Hopefully she'll be just fine. The few I've had stuck in molts died, except for my gbb sling, who just had a back leg stuck, and I moistened it and she shook it off the next day. Good luck man, hope she does well, keep us updated.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I checked on her throughout the evening after cleaning the substrate off. She's been moving around her enclosure, but still in that post molt hunched up pose. I take the moving around her enclosure as a good sign. I'll check her fangs on Wednesday when i feed the tiny ones and see if they're black and try to feed him. If she eats i think we'll be in the clear.

Side note, i gotta proof read my phone posts better lol, what a glob of typos that OP is :p

Pasodama

3 Year Member
I really hope Buddha continues to do well.
Have not had that happen, to any of mine, but I would have done like you ... moisten, very well, and remove as much of the "debris" as I could.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tried to feed Buddha last night but it was too soon, her fangs were black but she ran from the roach. Also noticed while she was grooming herself that the substrate is stuck to her chilicerae, not her carapace like i thought originally. Doesn't seem to be an issue though, she was cleaning her fangs yesterday and moving the chilicerae just fine. I'm hoping to not find the roach when i go home this evening ;)

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Does sound like things are going to be just fine. So glad.:)
Keeping fingers crossed for the roach to do a disappearing act ... even if unintentional.;)

Latest posts