• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mold in my cage so soon?

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I had to clean out the jar my genic sling lives in recently because it grew some white mold while I was away. I got rid of the substrate, scrubbed the jar with soap, and put in fresh, newly-moistened sub. A couple days later, the mold was back! While I was temporarily rehousing the sling in a vial so I could do the cleaning, some of the old sub got into the vial, too, and though I tried to take most of it out, I think a few particles made it back into the jar after I returned the sling. Could that be why I'm seeing mold again so soon?

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
Mold can float in or could've been lying dormant in the substrate itself. If there is moisture and not enough ventilation, it'll grow. You just need to add some holes until it doesn't grow back.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I punched about 20-25 holes in the lid with a small nail. The jar is about 4 inches in diameter. I could try getting a piece of screen and using that instead; might that help?

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
Are the hole new or were they there when the mold problem started? If they're new I would test it to see how it goes. Generally mold on the substrate won't harm your T in the short term. If they were there before I would just keep adding more until the problem goes away. Then you know you have a sufficient level of ventilation. A screen top seems like too much work and it might over ventilate, not keeping in enough humidity.

Latest posts