• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Missing a Fang

redsniper

Just a few minutes ago I was watching my girl have a drink then roam around the sides of her tank. I love to watch her as she goes about her doings, so I walked over to view and and take a few pictures as she wandered, and to my horror noticed she's missing one of her fangs.

I know for a fact she had both fangs after she molted and hardened completely, so I'm clueless as to when and how this happened. Will she be okay with only the one fang? Will I have to assist her in feedings until she molts again and hopefully regrows it? Any tips at all would be great :-( I love my baby a lot and feel so heartbroken.

redsniper

Do you tong feed? Feed her crickets, superworms hornworms ect...stay away from hard roaches like hissers. She should regrow the missing fang next molt.

No, but I feed her exclusively red runners since their quick movements are the only thing that interests her food-wise.

Will she be able to eat decently until then? She's 5' inches currently, so it might be.. quite some time until she molts again. :(

Nunua

3 Year Member
@Tuskedwings has B. smithi who had only one fang for quite a while. She just molted successfully and seems to be fine :)
Yours should be able to hunt and eat with only one fang, but it's good to keep an eye on her to be sure that she's managing.

Also, the nature is great - Even though your T is 5", the molt cycle will most likely be shorter than normal this time as the body tries to fix the damage as fast as it can.

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No, but I feed her exclusively red runners since their quick movements are the only thing that interests her food-wise.

Will she be able to eat decently until then? She's 5' inches currently, so it might be.. quite some time until she molts again. :(
She will eat a hornworm... trust me.;)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

This one is funny. They get one earthworm per month and one as their first post molt meal if they are terrestrials.

I wouldn't use them as a main food source, just a treat.

Latest posts