• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Meet Elmo the B. Albopilosum (Honduran Curly Hair)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Carl Ash
It's exactly what I use till they get crowded. :)
Good water dishes for the larger spiders as well I half fill them with glass beads and bury them a little to keep them stable ^^

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh! @Carl Ash when you vent them go from the inside towards the outside. Slings are incredibly delicate after a molt. That will keep any sharper edges away from exploring little legs :)
Just a heads up ^.~

Carl Ash

3 Year Member
Oh! @Carl Ash when you vent them go from the inside towards the outside. Slings are incredibly delicate after a molt. That will keep any sharper edges away from exploring little legs :)
Just a heads up ^.~

Brilliant! Thank you so much for all the tips! Poking the holes from inside to out is a tip I'd never hear anywhere other than a forum :) Definitely a smart idea considering how sharp plastic can be after being punctured. How fast do N. Chromatus grow do you know?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Brilliant! Thank you so much for all the tips! Poking the holes from inside to out is a tip I'd never hear anywhere other than a forum :) Definitely a smart idea considering how sharp plastic can be after being punctured. How fast do N. Chromatus grow do you know?
Slow ..at least if you go by mine. I think mine just might be the off sling of the bunch, it's literally barely changed in three molts. That second image is my Nhandu. Got it when I got several others. It was a hair over a quarter inch. Most of the others are pushing two inches now. Now, to be fair, everywhere I read other places say that they grow exceptionally fast. So, heat, feeding etc.
Warm and power fed will boost it's growth.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
image.png
Here's mine lol

Carl Ash

3 Year Member
Aww that is so cute! So warmth and powerfeeding yeah? Of course I won't go too overboard on the power feeding don't want to bloat the little guy but I'm sure he'll refuse a roach if he's not hungry :)
As for warmth, how do you recommend keeping the little condiment cup warm?

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I keep all of mine in the same area and use a space heater in the cold weather to keep heat up in that room. Basically room temp is OK for most of them unless you keep it frigid. :)

Carl Ash

3 Year Member
I keep all of mine in the same area and use a space heater in the cold weather to keep heat up in that room. Basically room temp is OK for most of them unless you keep it frigid. :)

Aaah okay! To give him a little extra heat I may set him down in his little cup behind my roach enclosure where the heat pad is attached so some dissipated heat coming off the pad will surround him, or I will put him next to the heat lamp so some radiating heat would reach him as well. I am afraid my room gets kind of chilly now and then because I tend to be very hot myself so I keep it cool.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Slow ..at least if you go by mine. I think mine just might be the off sling of the bunch, it's literally barely changed in three molts. That second image is my Nhandu. Got it when I got several others. It was a hair over a quarter inch. Most of the others are pushing two inches now. Now, to be fair, everywhere I read other places say that they grow exceptionally fast. So, heat, feeding etc.
Warm and power fed will boost it's growth.

My 2 were about the same as yours, just over 0.25" when I got them a year ago and they are both just over 1.5" after 4 moults. Yours is so cute though :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My 2 were about the same as yours, just over 0.25" when I got them a year ago and they are both just over 1.5" after 4 moults. Yours is so cute though :)
Yes it is! I have no issues with my little runt as long as it seems healthy :)

Carl Ash

3 Year Member
Hey everyone, sorry for being so busy, as a student I am quite busy with finals and all of that. I am thinking of sneaking over to the reptile store today after track and field practice to pick up a sling. I came across one last question that makes a big difference if anyone can answer in the next few hours. Could a 1/2-3/4 inch Nhandu Chromatus sling go for a week or so without food or is that pushing it for a sling of that size. I ask this as I travel every now and then for about a week at a time and can't really have any pets that can't go about a week or a week and a half without a meal, which is why I got in to T's in the first place. Let me know! Thanks!

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Hey everyone, sorry for being so busy, as a student I am quite busy with finals and all of that. I am thinking of sneaking over to the reptile store today after track and field practice to pick up a sling. I came across one last question that makes a big difference if anyone can answer in the next few hours. Could a 1/2-3/4 inch Nhandu Chromatus sling go for a week or so without food or is that pushing it for a sling of that size. I ask this as I travel every now and then for about a week at a time and can't really have any pets that can't go about a week or a week and a half without a meal, which is why I got in to T's in the first place. Let me know! Thanks!

Yes, they can go over a week without food. I have a 1/4" Euathlus, and a 1/2" E. campestratus, who have not eaten since I got them on April 17th. I keep offering and they keep refusing. They are doing fine and are very healthy.

Carl Ash

3 Year Member
Brilliant!!!!! I plan to get another adult or late juvenile T in a week or two as well (my argument being that I have some extra artificial leaves and a big round piece of cork bark that needs a home). I probably will just pick up an A. Avicularia or maybe a GBB but I'm not too sure. An arboreal would be cool though since now with the Nhandu I'll have two terrestrial. If I pick the little guy up today I will definitely post some photos and we will work out a good name for the cute little one

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I probably will just pick up an A. Avicularia or maybe a GBB but I'm not too sure.
The avics, especially as spiderlings, are very sensitive and require much more maintenance of their homes. They die more easily than the hardy terrestrials do. They are definitely not hardy or that forgiving when it comes to their enclosures and wellbeing.

Latest posts