• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Matching T's to enclosures

Rickdawg73

3 Year Member
What's going on everyone. How does everyone size the enclosures for their t's? It always seem I have too much space or maybe not enough??? I'm thinking about getting a 1" Lasiodora parahybana and not sure if it needs a small or med. enclosure. To reduce rehousings I like something a little bigger but at 1" this is still considered a sling correct? I've been told that too much space isn't good :-\

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I imagine opinions will vary on this. I'm interested in what our members have to say on the matter. I tend to want my tarantulas in bigger then necessary enclosures. Mine don't seem to have any trouble at all finding prey, water and their chosen shelters. I have some 3" spiders in 5 gallon cubes. I have my adult female G. pulchra in a 10 gallon. I house my little 1" slings either in 4x4x7" AMAC boxes or large Kritter Keepers.

Here is my little Lp in his enclosure:
IMG_5954.JPG

IMG_5979.JPG

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
1" is still considered a sling. Condiment cups may work, but over an inch I use 16 oz. Deli cups. One of my G. grossa slings currently occupies this enclosure.

20180722_184706.jpg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Here's my 1" LP....I'll leave him in this till he starts bolting out of it. Usually around 2" I'll take them out of this size enclosure and put him in something much larger. Maybe something 3x this size by then.
20180722_155859.jpg
20180722_155917.jpg

Джо

I have 10 pretty ladies and they all are in plastict lockable boxes I got at Target, shoe box size, drilled air holes and they are fine

Джо

Джо

some of my ladies

Джо

Attachments

• 1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula G. rosea  1.jpg
    1 Chilean Rose Hair Tarantula G. rosea 1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 3 Brazilian White Knee  A. Geniculata ,  Lilith.jpg
    3 Brazilian White Knee A. Geniculata , Lilith.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 4 Mexican Red Knee B smithi  Yatzil.jpg
    4 Mexican Red Knee B smithi Yatzil.jpg
    504.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 5 nicaragua curly hair tarantula B     albopilosa, Ashna.jpg
    5 nicaragua curly hair tarantula B albopilosa, Ashna.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 6 Arizona Blond T Aphonopelma chalcodes  Dusty.jpeg
    6 Arizona Blond T Aphonopelma chalcodes Dusty.jpeg
    7.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 8 Argentina  Chaco Giant Golden Stripe Chaco Golden Knee Grammostola Pulchripes   Carla.JPG
    8 Argentina Chaco Giant Golden Stripe Chaco Golden Knee Grammostola Pulchripes Carla.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 7

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
some of my ladies

Джо

I'm thick but is that even a b smithi? I'd imagine it's now old and meant to be hamorii but still not? Is it not the flame knee? Cant think of name. Brachy auturum or something

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Never mind. Ignore that. Is the red on the knees the difference between hamorii and smithi then? I don't actually know the difference lol

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Never mind. Ignore that. Is the red on the knees the difference between hamorii and smithi then? I don't actually know the difference lol
They are both the same...B. hamorii will have small white hairs on the patella (knees) the coloration on the smithi will also be more vibrant. Along will some other subtle differences.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are both the same...B. hamorii will have small white hairs on the patella (knees) the coloration on the smithi will also be more vibrant. Along will some other subtle differences.

Right ok. So basically I won't know the difference lol. How come the hamorii was more popular than the smithi then if the smithi is better looking? Or do they have a different temperament?

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If the T can eat, drink, molt and take shelter then the enclosure size is ok. Lasiodora species grow fast and get big. Keep him in one of those jamies tarantulas 4x4x5 juvenile cubes. When he or she gets to 2", get it into something larger or the adult cage, 5 gallon tank probably. In order to draw feeders to the T in a larger enclosure, put a bottle cap with cricket chow in it by whenever the T decides to burrow or hang out. Lasiodora species have a high prey drive, very pouncy. A larger cage won't make them starve. Rehousing is always stressful on tarantulas and it's best to minimize it. I have a L klugi and she had no problem dominating a 3 gallon even at 2"in size. I then moved her to a 5 gallon permanent home.