• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male tarantulas flipping upside down (no it's not molting)

Kris

3 Year Member
If anybody has any answers or suggestions I would greaty appreciate it.
I've been in the tarantula hobby for years. I've only really had females though so males are kinda new to me. I've had two males so far. One was a mexican red rump and the other a giant brazilian white knee.
One thing I've noticed is after both of them had their maturity molts they web and flip themselvs upside down like they are going to molt but they dont. They just flip upside down and nuzzle themselves in the web and chill laying upside down like that. If anybody knows why they do this that would be fantastic. I'm very curious why they are doing this. My females never do it, so I'm assuming it's a male thing.

Ghost

3 Year Member
Hi welcome to the forum,as for your mature males flipping upside down under a web this is normal it's called a sperm web and the T goes underneath it upside down to deposit sperm on it so he can charge his pedipalps ready for breeding....

Ghost

3 Year Member
That is incredible!!! Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate it

Your welcome we are all here to learn from each other even after 25+ years in the hobby I'm still leaning new things...

Kris

3 Year Member
Thats awesome. I've been in the hobby for about 12 years. and yes definitely still learning new things. Hopefully I can answer one of your questions in return some day :)