• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male B. vagans in trouble?

Penny

3 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I recently joined this awesome forum and I am loving it!

I have a male Brachypelma vagans that molted to a mature adult approx. two months ago. Because of this, I started feeding him less, upon recommendation by the "tarantula experts" at the local store I bought him from. Until a week ago everything seemed normal, he is very active walking around looking for girls ha!

Last week I started noticing a small bald spot in his abdomen. I don't handle him, there haven't been any temperature or humidity issues, he had never had bald spots before... could it be that not finding a mate is stressing him out? Is he "marking" his territory with his hairs?

As you can see in the picture, the bald spot is now huge! Should I worry?

Any insights, recommendations or comments are greatly appreciated. I know he won't last long as a mature adult, but I would like to keep him comfortable.

Thank you in advance!

Penny

Attachments

• Mexican red rump.jpg
    Mexican red rump.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I recently joined this awesome forum and I am loving it!

I have a male Brachypelma vagans that molted to a mature adult approx. two months ago. Because of this, I started feeding him less, upon recommendation by the "tarantula experts" at the local store I bought him from. Until a week ago everything seemed normal, he is very active walking around looking for girls ha!

Last week I started noticing a small bald spot in his abdomen. I don't handle him, there haven't been any temperature or humidity issues, he had never had bald spots before... could it be that not finding a mate is stressing him out? Is he "marking" his territory with his hairs?

As you can see in the picture, the bald spot is now huge! Should I worry?

Any insights, recommendations or comments are greatly appreciated. I know he won't last long as a mature adult, but I would like to keep him comfortable.

Thank you in advance!

Penny
No need to be concerned, its common, and in my experience more common with mature males. They kick hairs off for several reasons. No need to feed him less, feed him if he'll eat. Most mm dont eat much though, so its important they always have a fresh water dish. He may surprise you and last a few years longer. Have you thought about breeding him? You could loan him out or sell him to a breeder, or you could find a female vagans to buy. Or just keep him comfortable. Welcome to TF Penny:T:

Penny

3 Year Member
Hi MassExodus,

Thank you for your rapid response and the warm welcome!

I feel better knowing this behavior is normal for mms. I have been feeding him once every month for the past two months and he is still a very good hunter. I read that feeding them less would slow down their metabolism and that way he would potentially last longer. I do keep his dish with fresh water and replenish it every two days.

Do you really think he could still last years? That would be awesome!

I haven't considered breeding him. If there are any breeders out here from the Twin Cities, Minnesota maybe I can let you borrow him, he's a cutie ;).

Again, thank you MassExodus and see you around here!

Best,

Penny

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Welcome to TF Penny! I agree with @MassExodus and @Enn49. I would say that in my opinion, I would feed him a bit more. Are you feeding a large Dubia once a month? I feed my mature adults a large Dubia at least once a week, or I mix it up with a few crickets/B. lats/ or Super worms a week. I'm not expert but I would assume in the wild Ts come across food more often than we may think. Just a thought, good luck with everything, I hope you can find him a lady :)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Depending on where and how they make their webs you can see how they use their butts. They do that for hours sometimes. Food ...some of my males eat some dont. They've got other things on their minds. Ive had males make it almost 4 years after maturing. Hope you find him a mate!!!

Penny

3 Year Member
Thank you all! I am truly amazed by this awesome community!

@Dustin Amack, I feed him a large dubia or large cricket once a month, but will definitely consider feeding him more frequently! thank you for the advice.

@Arachnoclown, those are amazing videos! I have seen my B. vagans doing all those things, I guess I just didn't realize the consequences of rubbing his butt when making his sperm web. Also, it is really encouraging to hear that you have males that have lasted so many years after maturing. Did they keep molting after maturity? Or do they stay on the same size?

Again, thank you all!

Penny

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you all! I am truly amazed by this awesome community!

@Dustin Amack, I feed him a large dubia or large cricket once a month, but will definitely consider feeding him more frequently! thank you for the advice.

@Arachnoclown, those are amazing videos! I have seen my B. vagans doing all those things, I guess I just didn't realize the consequences of rubbing his butt when making his sperm web. Also, it is really encouraging to hear that you have males that have lasted so many years after maturing. Did they keep molting after maturity? Or do they stay on the same size?

Again, thank you all!

Penny
I've never had one survive another molt...they do survive but it rare. They have to amputate their pedipalps to survive. I've always had to put them down though (got stuck).:( Most of the time they just curl up in the corner and pass... it's sad. I usually try to find them a mate...I think it's better to go out breeding then to sit around and wait to die. At least with breeding usually it's after the deed is done and the ending is pretty quick. The cycle of life continues in her...:)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Clownie: it was a dang good day when you joined TF! Penny, you have heard from 4 of the best! Welcome. Good luck finding him a girlfriend. Many of us have great connections to help you out.
Thanks Bro, Definitely not the best...always learning everyday. Just learned from my mistakes and experiences over the last 36 years of keeping Ts.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The question is whether or not removing the palps well before the post ultimate molt can allow them to molt successfully and hang out a bit longer if there aren't any breeding opportunities around.

Daylitor Knight had a G rosea male survive after losing the palps and still going strong.

How common is it?

I have 2 confirmed males and one suspect one. I'll attempt to find breeders before just extending life as long as possible.