• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male and female tapping at each other

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
My old male T stirmi "gramps" literally woke me up with his tapping against his enclosure. I checked on him, and found my female "RAMBO" directly underneath him in her enclosure, tapping back, as to say, "come over big boy"!!! Every morning I'd check them and see them both in these spots, and now I know why.
She absolutely knew where he was, and they were climbing trying to get to each other. The tapping went on for hours. It was amazing.
Now, if "Gramps'" abdomen wasn't deformed, and he could lay a sperm web, I'd introduce them.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Yeah, are you sure he can't make a sperm web? Give it a go. He might surprise you. They tend to tear them down when they're done, so you just might not have seen him do it.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No web has ever come out when watching him try
They don't make the sperm web when mating they do it prior to it. The males almost always have their palps loaded up. You won't see them do it usually, they are very secretive about it and they'll usually destroy the web afterwards.

Thistles

3 Year Member
I watch him try n lay any web. He moves his spinnets but not a single thing comes out. I'm gonna go for it anyway
Ah, good news then! They use different spinnerets than the ones at the end of their abdomen. They have separate, special ("epiandrous fusillae") spinnerets that they use specifically for making sperm webs. Even if he's deformed toward the rear, those will likely be okay! I bet he's loaded. Good luck to you both!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I had a female P.metalica that died following an injury, was offered a replacement that was picked up without being able to see it. Was told it was a female but when I got it home, clearly a male.....emboli boxing gloves that the late and great Muhammed Ali would have been proud to wear. Anyway, despite her tank being cleaned before the big blue boy was introduced, he must have picked up her hormones or something as his first night in the new enclosure, side of my bed btw, he was strumming away and drumming like Animal from the Muppets. Woke me up and he and his tank quickly relegated to he spare room so I could get some shut eye! They are loud!!!!

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Ah, good news then! They use different spinnerets than the ones at the end of their abdomen. They have separate, special ("epiandrous fusillae") spinnerets that they use specifically for making sperm webs. Even if he's deformed toward the rear, those will likely be okay! I bet he's loaded. Good luck to you both!
Oooohhh!!!! I thought if he couldn't lay a normal web, he wouldn't be able to lay a sperm web. Awesome. Now, do I wait for him to tap again, or can I introduce any time? I'm absolutely new to this part, lol