• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Malaysian Earth Tiger

Atx13

3 Year Member
Whats the correct scientific name for these beauties? I'm looking to get one, and can't seem to get an accurate scientific name...
Thanks in advance :D

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I thought it was Cyriopagopus thorelli? Is this one of those taxonomy messes? What is MET btw?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I thought it was Cyriopagopus thorelli? Is this one of those taxonomy messes? What is MET btw?

well they're both Technically the MET, but Thorelli is not available in the hobby. So any that are labeled Thorelli, are actually Schiodeti. Ughh, Taxonomy.

Atx13

3 Year Member
They have several names, or had.. I really don't know about now. But I found some for sale. Now I just need to decided how bad I want one :p.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
well they're both Technically the MET, but Thorelli is not available in the hobby. So any that are labeled Thorelli, are actually Schiodeti. Ughh, Taxonomy.
Ah ok. There was a shop here that had them labelled thorelli so that's where my confusion came from. Not surprising, most shops here don't usually use the scientific names at all and when they do a lot of them are incorrect (or made up; as in I couldn't even find the name on google lol).

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ah ok. There was a shop here that had them labelled thorelli so that's where my confusion came from. Not surprising, most shops here don't usually use the scientific names at all and when they do a lot of them are incorrect (or made up; as in I couldn't even find the name on google lol).

I have on many occasion seen in pet stores "Arizona sp gold" lol

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've seen an A.amazonica labelled as "Giant tropical tree spider" lol

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They have several names, or had.. I really don't know about now. But I found some for sale. Now I just need to decided how bad I want one :p.

Go buy them! Why would anyone not want one of these?
DSCF4668.jpg

I think when the long awaited Ornithoctoninae revision comes out C. thorelli will end up being a junior synonym of C. schioedtei anyway.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love this forum, I learn something new every time I come here :) Thanks for all the info guys!

Plessey: Your earth tiger is awesome! :)

Atx13

3 Year Member
Go buy them! Why would anyone not want one of these?
I think when the long awaited Ornithoctoninae revision comes out C. thorelli will end up being a junior synonym of C. schioedtei anyway.
Plessey,
Is your C. schioedtei more arboreal, or does it burrow? I've read some places where they like a more arboreal set up, and others where they tend to burrow?
I've never kept this species, but it has been on my wish list for a very long time. Always looking to get as much info as possible before getting new Ts.
Thanks in advance. :)

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was so P.O'd (pm me if I need to explain that one lol ) as some one on CL had listed a MET sling for 100 bucks...when he sent a pic it was a Red Knee...

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was so P.O'd (pm me if I need to explain that one lol ) as some one on CL had listed a MET sling for 100 bucks...when he sent a pic it was a Red Knee...
Wow...
Wonder if he was deliberately trying to scam someone or if he was really that clueless about what species he had. /sigh

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Plessey,
Is your C. schioedtei more arboreal, or does it burrow? I've read some places where they like a more arboreal set up, and others where they tend to burrow?
I've never kept this species, but it has been on my wish list for a very long time. Always looking to get as much info as possible before getting new Ts.
Thanks in advance. :)

Cyriopagopus species are arboreal however they will often burrow as slings and juveniles or web up the bottom of cork bark and incorporate the substrate into it. Here is a good site for more info - https://sites.google.com/site/asianarboreals/cyriopagopusschioedtei

Latest posts