• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Making Holes in Plastic Enclosures

Dixie Ann Mahaffie

3 Year Member
I have tried using a soldering iron and the plastic gets burned around the edges of the holes. I have also use a drill and it creates sharp edges that I am afraid will cut the Ts. I bought a large quantity of really nice see through plastic boxes and tall plastic enclosures for arboreals from the container store. Now I just have to figure out the easiest way to make the holes.

I have thought about ordering some those vent things, but I am not sure how to make the big holes to put the vents in.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Dixie

papercut2008uk

3 Year Member
you could try a belt hole punch (if the plastic is soft enough to punch through), no burn and clean cut, they usually sell real cheap online and can make different sized holes.

Dixie Ann Mahaffie

3 Year Member
I have one of those, but it's not long enough to go in as deep as needed on the bottle and I don't think it will go over the lip of the bottle either.

Thivo

3 Year Member
I used a smaller drill bit to make a hole on a CD Case Enclosures that I made and it looks fine... I slightly rub each hole to check if it is sharp and also to remove some remaining plastic...

Therasoid

3 Year Member
I use my Dremel with triple fluted bits. Very rare instances does it leave sharp edges that need smoothed out. I don't care for the odor of melting plastic.

Latest posts