• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Making a mat with prey?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, I have another observation, one that I feel will likely cement my noob status.

I noticed Velma, who is normally a pet rock, moving around a lot this evening. I have taken this to be that she is ready to be fed, and is averaging 1-2 crickets a week.

I put a cricket in her enclosure and she was on it immediately. But instead of going immediately into her hide she began dancing and running her spinnerets on the substrate. She began slowly turning in circles, making a mat slightly larger than she, spanning most of the opening of her hide and attaching it to the sides of the hide. It has been about 10 minutes and she is still doing this.

I conclude she is either getting ready to wrap her prey to save for later or is making some sort of "trip wire" to alert her to anything that might be approaching as she eats.

Any ideas?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Kind of like marking their territory. She may or may not wrap her prey. It's more of a territoriality thing.

Latest posts